Will I ever be able to come to Noisebridge again?

I can attest that Noisebridge as a whole has been consistently attempting to get the elevator functional.

The core issue is that it’s not supposed to be Noisebridge’s responsibility. When we try to take responsibility, we are told we’re not supposed to fix the elevator ourselves (fair enough), and when we try to get the correct repair people to come deal with it, we get infinite delays and quotes of $100K or more.

Chicken John (yes that guy) told me he’d be willing to help us run a fundraiser, if it came to that. He said that’s a very compelling fundraising idea.

But hopefully the lease negotiation goes where it should… and we can get the landlord to actually put up the funds to fix the damn thing.

Yeah if it comes to it I’ll happily poster child it up for a fundraiser.

I’m sure Chicken JOhn would do a good job of running it !

···

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 5:39 PM Naomi Most via Noisebridge noreply@discuss.noisebridge.info wrote:

nthmost

[Naomi Most](https://discuss.noisebridge.info/u/nthmost)

January 30

I can attest that Noisebridge as a whole has been consistently attempting to get the elevator functional.

The core issue is that it’s not supposed to be Noisebridge’s responsibility. When we try to take responsibility, we are told we’re not supposed to fix the elevator ourselves (fair enough), and when we try to get the correct repair people to come deal with it, we get infinite delays and quotes of $100K or more.

Chicken John (yes that guy) told me he’d be willing to help us run a fundraiser, if it came to that. He said that’s a very compelling fundraising idea.

But hopefully the lease negotiation goes where it should… and we can get the landlord to actually put up the funds to fix the damn thing.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

lizzard

January 28

Oh wow. I thought the new lease was already signed a long time ago. I trust you all will negotiate as best you can. I would rather noisebridge continue to exist whether or not I can get in, tbh. Liz ··· (click for more details)

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

Thanks Ruth, for all youve done on this. Youve taken on so much of this yourself, and you shouldn’t have to.

I wish the community would rally more around this problem. As far as I know, not a single fundraiser has been attempted to help make noisebridge accessible. That makes me really sad.

I agree with Liz that its good to have NB around, even if it’s “able bodies only.”

However, what I want most is some /validation/ for how frustrating and exclusionary this feels. I dream of a time when NB community will be willing to hold 0.01% space for disabled people to express some hurt and (gasp) a little anger about this.

Emotions are part of being human, and shit, this is crappy.

That said, I still miss the community and the space there. And I’m very grateful to Ruth and others who are doing the difficult work to pick away at this with the landlord.

-Zach

1 Like

Money isn’t the issue right now. We’ve been having trouble finding a good elevator repair company for a reasonable price. Otis charged us $1089 an hour plus overtime for some of their work and the elevator wasn’t even fixed afterwards. The typical price is $300 an hour, but there’s been some miscommunication with the new company we worked with (I think the landlord thought the elevator company said the elevator was good to go and removed the first red tag, but the company didn’t do the process with the state to have the tag removed and the inspector came back and was annoyed at the situation). I mean to sort it out after the lease is signed. The landlord will pay for it.

If you know someone in the elevator repair business, please introduce me. The long term solution is to find a company we have a good relationship with, that’s honest about what they can and can’t do, and capable of getting the elevator in good standing with the state inspector. (There is a list of all the companies certified in the state that we can go through if we don’t get a recommendation)

I think everyone should be angry. This sucks.

I’d also add that not having a (legally) functioning elevator limits my ability to enjoy Noisebridge as well, due to a knee injury.

In my opinion, there’s been a tremendous amount of shady behavior between our previous elevator maintenance company (Otis) and the Landlord.

Please review this post for further background: State of the Elevator, according to the inspection office

1. When Otis “repaired” the elevator following the fire department extracting a mentally ill person from our elevator, they cut one of the bars out of the inside gate because it was bent and blocking the elevator from moving. They never replaced the bar. One of the things the city has locked-out our elevator for is that missing bar, because it puts the elevator in violation of safety code. So at the very least they owe us replacing the missing bar, and their negligence ought to be reported to the city.

2. I don’t believe for one second that an elevator company told our landlord our elevator was “good to go” and then forgot to call-in to the city. The requirement to do that was written on every page of the violation notice. And in our case, our elevator has such a bad reputation, calling in to the city is not good enough, they’re required to contact the head of the inspections department! Also, the elevator company would, of course, bill for services and provide a receipt; and to date, I’ve yet to hear of our landlord producing a copy of that receipt. A more likely scenario is that our landlord hired some sort of “handyman” to deal with the situation, and that person cut the lockout seal. Unfortunately, lacking security camera footage, we’ll never know for sure.

3. To prevent the elevator from becoming “good to go” again in the future prior to being serviced by a REAL elevator company, I’ve locked the rear door in the “open” position using a $120 Kryptonite bike lock, and posted copies of the lockout notice everywhere. Two Noisebridge members frequently in the space have keys to this lock. I’d appreciate it back - intact - when this ordeal is over.

4. I find it amusing how much more cooperative our landlord has become with it clearly evident the building lacks a working elevator. Perhaps it makes it more difficult to rent or something… :wink:

1. Overall, I recommend the landlord just signs a contract with Otis (they built the damn elevator) - and I volunteer to supervise them …because although I’m not an elevator technician (and have no desire to become one) honestly I probably know more about our elevator than Otis or any other elevator company do. There’s no need for $10,000 limit switches - just a nut adjusted. The missing bar can be fabricated in our metal shop in twenty minutes. Whatever company that’s hired can probably be in and out in three hours including a full inspection.

Long-term though, the elevator is going to need some very expensive maintenance: the rollers that guide the cab along the tracks inside the elevator shaft are worn out (that’s why the cab can rock from side to side) and need to be replaced.

^A^

FYI The lease signing has stalled due to the directors hearing from the notice of violation being posted and contention about the landlord paying for the sprinklers

is there any reason that the missing guard bar can’t be fabricated and installed doocratically? That way there’s one less thing to be fixed before the professionals come in and take care of everything.

The confounder on that potential causal link is that the 2nd floor tenants moved out, which definitely changed the landlord’s relationship to money and thus how they think about Noisebridge.

… any updates? I know there’s some documents that it doesn’t make sense to publish here, but can we get a gist of an update? Do I have any hope of coming back into the space?

It sucks that I can’t take part in the next hackathon. It looks really cool :frowning:

After The.Shop (The Reincarnation of techshop) closed down, theres nothing left in SF for disabled people to be a part of a DIY grassroots hacker community.

Hey @Zach,

Not specifically elevator related. But there is a strong Noisebridge moving possibility (again…) .

Just posted an overview: Noisebridge Maybe Moving? And general updates!

Hey @Zach you should check out humanmade.org

Basically, all of the old staff from Techshop bought all of the old tools from Techshop and set up their own makerspace in an ultra-high-end building. Expensive ($250/month) and essentially zero “community” - just tons of little startups building their stuff …but it has a fantastic elevator.

^A^

Man, thats cool. But damn, why is access only available to the rich? This is such a common problem for the disability community.

Rent controlled housing in San Francisco isn’t required to be accessible, either. But if youre rich? 100% ADA access.

Still hoping for a comprehensive update on what’s going on with the elevator. Whenever there’s talk of a move, the elevator gets put on the back burner by default. It would be nice to avoid that and come up with some problem solving.

Maybe we could set something up where we could create a temporary hacker Meetup for disabled folks somewhere else for right now? It would be nice to feel like I’m part of the community again.

2 Likes

queerious labs in soma is ADA accessible. Was started by noisebridgers and definitely a great space to check out.

https://queeriouslabs.com/

I recommend going there and checking it out.

3 Likes

Just want to put it out there that I feel your pain Zach (I want to get my roommate Alex able to come back to NB again ASAP)

As regards the “talk of a move distracts and puts elevator on back burner”: We’ve recently had a few interesting move options come up very recently that require immediate attention specifically because they might solve this whole thing in a much cleaner way than us putting a bunch of unnecessary work into the elevator.

BUT. We were talking about this sort of thing today: https://www.transitionsmobility.com/products/inclined-wheelchair-stair-lifts/residential-indoor
Ryan, any idea how much these cost? Looks like average price of these types of things is like 2-3k. We’d need 2 for current noisebridge. I wonder if its worth investing in? Hard to say, because we might actually make a decision and move out very very soon? Sorry, there are a few questions I can’t answer but will try to find answers to.

2 Likes

New guy here.

• Certainly, one could think serially and figure out how to make the elevator work
  • Alternately, one could think using parallel logic and find another leasable space on the first floor

7,500 sq. ft. at 668 Guerrero St. @ $16/SF/YR makes that a monthly rent check of $10K versus the $14K/month 3rd floor where you are right now. Google Maps thinks this is 0.4 miles away (3 minutes) from where you are now. It does indicate “short-term lease” which could mean a number of things and might be worth considering.

Hey New Guy!

We are currently considering 272 Capp street as the best possible space.

Last year we put a lot of effort into moving to 668 Guerrero. Turns out that property is just dead space. It’s an awesome warehouse but it’s only zoned for residential use. So it’s only legal function is to be torn down and turned into apartments. Guess that’s why it’s still on the market.

1 Like

Details on possible homes can be found in #new-space

Is this new location wheelchair accessible?

50% accessible for now. It is two stories. Ground floor is accessible but no elevator.

Here is a 360 video tour: https://youtu.be/k7uP77GRvHc

I think there is a discussion somewhere about using some sort of stair lift? I haven’t seen any photos of the stairwell though. Does anyone know?