Weekly Meeting Notes 9/28/2021

These are the notes from the [The 647th Meeting of Noisebridge](https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Category:Meeting_Notes).  Also available on our [wiki](https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Meeting_Notes_2021_09_28)

*Live notes
*Riseup Pad
*Virtual Meeting (jitsi mic/cam off by default)
*https://jitsi.noisebridge.io/hackitorium#config.startWithAudioMuted=true&config.startWithVideoMuted=true&userInfo.displayName="n00b"

Date: 09-28-21

Meeting]

Meeting]

Note-taker: TJ relay

Moderators:sophia

  • ‘’‘One or two bullet points of high-level meeting summary.’’’

Meeting Summary

FIXME FILL OUT AT END OF MEETING AND SEND TO MAILING LIST
TLDR what happened at the meeting:

  • Fundraising Update
  • Announcements:
  • Finances:
  • New members:
  • New philanthropists:
  • Consensus Items:
  • Discussion Items:

= Introductions =

Pyconaut-he him- helping do an art install at gray area
TJ - he/they - does robots, finished the flaschen, pogchamp of a man
Ibrahim - first time here, have ideas, but outside of knowledge base rn . want to combine HCI and VR for therapy
Ryan (not french and not pyconaut) - currently working on spot microproject, helping otu with gate project
Sophia - she/her - idk what I do anymore, looking for another project, based goddess
relay - mista open source
Dave - he/him electr NJonics and code

–onlines–
dan (evil). likes to dither
james introduced himàself
Fletcher - Hi from Australia though, from the Perth Artifactory :smiley:
St4t3 - Hi. I’m St4t3, never been to SF / NB, been following for a while now, currently in Mexico, want to start a hackerspace, nice to meet you
swedishhat -
waterppk - from sector67 in madison wisconsin
carl - fellow LED hacker

= Short announcements and events =
‘’‘60-second description per item in bulletpoint.’’’

NeurotechX sf- Thursdays from 6 to 9 PM . Look at NeurotechX SF meetup for more info. in near future, will have mixed in-person / virtual hacknights at NB again.

Gamebridge - Wed nights from 8 PM to whenever, hosted by Mark, mixed between Gamebridge Discord and NB hackitorium

Sophia - Sewing class maybe?

pyconaut (reach out for contact info) - art install project (paid job) going on at gray area,and in oakland

= Excellence =
‘’‘Our One Rule is to Be Excellent to Each Other.’’’

(What does that mean? How does the Anti-Harassment Policy fit into this? Are we SURE we know what being Excellent is? This is an important and fundamental conversation at Noisebridge, so let’s give it like 120 seconds.)

Dave - excellence is mostly common sense. Just being nice, treat other people like you want to be treated, try to get consensus before doing something constructive. Excellent is helping contribute and keeping things running. Usually like to call out ppl for acts of excellence.

Sophia - Jay’s moving things around, and TJ on the Flaschen

= Participation =
‘’‘Everyone at Noisebridge is a participant at Noisebridge.’’’

(What does that mean? How do you get a door key? Access to Slack, Discuss, etc?)

There are many ways to participate at noisebridge, this includes taking a class, teaching a class, giving a presentation, using our equipment, etc. You can also do just about any project since we run on do-ocracy. But if you think that the action or project might disturb others, please go through small c consensus and ask the community before you take any actions. Once you come by for a bit and gain some trust from the community, you can ask for a 30 day access token which will get you in the noisebridge door from 12am to 10pm for 30 days (then it then needs to be renewed). You can also participate digitally through our different online systems- noisebridge slack (ask for access) noisebridge discuss https://discuss.noisebridge.info/ noisebridge wiki https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/ noisebridge meetup https://www.meetup.com/noisebridge/ noisebridge discord https://discord.gg/tddK6NZ

= [’’‘A Philanthropist at Noisebridge has earned enough trust from the community to open and close the space.’’’

(What does that mean? What do we expect from Philanthropists? How do you become one? etc)

Sophia - You can get 30 day access token after being around a few times, if you’ve been excellent, you can ask a Member and show up a meeting to become a Philanthropist. You need the sponsorship of a Member. You need to contribute something financially, benchmark is $80, can also teach a class or sliding scale if no job. You also get a key with 24/7 access. We want to have a Philanthropist open and close the space.

30 day can be only one in space, but generally if They know how to open and close the space space.

Dave - people with 30 day access can be trusted

= [ Membership Binder ] =
‘’‘Membership in Noisebridge entails community Trust in Consensus.’’’

(What does that mean? What do we expect from Members? How do you become a Member? etc)

Big M Members are different from just being a member of the community, this is the highest trust level of the noisebridge community, it means that everyone in the community trusts that you would make good decisions about how noisebridge can move forward. This is an annoying bureaucratic level of trust, as the only theoretical benefit is that you get to block big C consensus items, and vote on who we place on our board. To become one, you need to go through a four week process, where you fill out a membership form sponsored by two big M members. You bring it to a tuesday meeting where it is submitted, your membership will be discussed at that meeting, then at the next tuesday meeting your membership is discussed again and if it gets to consensus, you will be asked to leave the room while the members present decide if they want to block you or not, if no Member blocks your membership application you become a Member. For the next two weeks any big M member can retroactively block your membership for any reason. If you get blocked figure out why, fix the issue and then reapply at a later time.

Historically, the requirements were higher, but less now.

= Financial Report =
‘’‘Anarchist societies under a capitalist state need money to survive and thrive, yo.’’’
9/26/2021 balances
Cash: $292,550
Crypto: $133,556
Total: $426,106

  • Funds in bank: same as last week
    Background : got big $$ from Kraken Jan / Feb last year
    Dave : We operate at a 50% deficit every month, donations are down, it’s unsustainable (expenses $12k, rent, water, electricity, etc.)

  • Noisetor (See the bulletpoints at the bottom of http://noisetor.net/finances/#summary):
    Tor was written in part at Noisebridge. We were gathering $$ to create Tor node, had to run out of Austria bc ISPs here wouldn’t like it.

  • Any other details by those participating in handling our financials

  • The latest financial reports from the treasurer are available at https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Finances

Fundraising Update

‘’‘How’s it all going’’’

Nothing new, but there is interest in doing twice a year fundraiser, with stuff like a raffle, auction etc.

= Consensus =
‘’‘Consensus is how the Noisebridge Membership may change how Noisebridge works.’’’

(How does Consensus work? What types of things are good for formal Consensus? What is small-c consensus? What is a “block”?)

If you’re doing things, ask first before doing. Good to ask if it’s cool first. This is small-C consensus

There’s also big C consensus, which we only use for big things. Big example is moving the space and signing the new lease. Any big-M member can block, which means it will fail. Don’t block without solid reason. Recently consensed on requiring vaccines to be in the space

No consensus items in the books, correct?

Consensus Items History | Proposals from last week ]

‘’(Add any items which are consensed upon or someone has raised a principle objection for to the Items History] page.)’’

Current Consensus Items | Proposals for next week ]

‘’(Add any new items for consensus to the Consensus Items] page.)’’

= Discussion =

Discussion Item 1 purge shelf (tj)

TJ: we have a couple of things here. A lightbulb lamp, a computer without hard drives in it. internet kiosk station, (joshua might claim it) Snap setters for large button manufacturing are being considered.

Dave: I’ll add the new purge items to Discuss. I’ve been getting to it when I can. Volunteer help on this would be awesome, as it’s time consuming. I’d like to talk strategy on the most efficient way to get rid of stuff. Maybe break things down into scrap metal, build scrap piel of computer cases. Reduces ewaste. A neighbor mentioned someone could pick it up for free. Same thing for snap setters, just gut for parts. If anyone wants to help, as additional ideas, that would help

Pyconaut: I want to find out what ppl think about using internet kiosk with keyboard as fornt door computer, which we need to set up as an 86 page. We should have it at the front so new people can check the page before letting ppl in. Other info with NB info. Other computers can be used

Dave: 100% on board with having that machine. Kiosk would be the worst machine, screen is terrible, we have other computers and keyboard and screen. Need to put IBM hack machine somewhere. Need to put Hack Machine back up (s/o to Carl)

Pyconaut: need to have Game of Life set up as well

Dave: There’s a lot of stuff that needs to happen here, easier if you get rid of junk like the kiosks

pyconaut: we had 3 kiosks, they were used a lot, really angry when they disappeared

waterppk : we break down computers for recycling (but is in Wisconsin)

pyconaut : We could give stuff to shops

sophia : what about the shelving items

TJ: wood, metal with rods, and cross beams

Dave: “Would’ve assumed something done with shelves months ago” . It takes a long time to do anything.

pyconaut: music room could use shelves for all the stuff on the floor. in the past it had custom shelves, though, which we might need.

Dave : could make shelves of existing parts

Sophia: done? ok

Stack
Sophia

Consensus Item 1: mask policy

james is doing this one

Consensus item specifically is, when ppl at NB, they should wear masks, and if they don’t want to, they should ask other people.

Pyconaut : this is being done currently as a small-c consensus item. Is this being formalized as a big-C consensus? Do we think this is useful as a big-C item rather than small-C?

Dave : I don’t really see what’s changed by doing this. We already have conducted ourselves like to day. I’ve asked about 3 or 4 times, says that masks are required on white board. text of consensus item is just “small-c applies to mask” (basically pointless). We can do it.

mcint : people feel a need to being this up, and are uncomfortable being in the space. We can pass this as solidarity to them in spirit.

Steve: maybe we’ll be more proactive if we do this. I’d be for it more

TJ: historicially we have with past concensus items to enforce small c items were blocked. one was regarding accessibility policy because it didn’t really do anything.

James: we can satify multiple parties. When you are in noisebridge wear a mask. All you have to do is ask. If they are like cool. If somebody says no, then you can say ok I"ll deal with that.

Sophia: we’ve being doing this

James: so we should consense on it. Consensus is where we agree to do it. I realize it’s inconvenient, but we can do this together.

Dave: I don’t see the point, but I won’t block, so I’ll let it pass.

Kim: I wanted to say the mask (I choose to wear mask, doesn’t bother others). It might be related to cameras, ppl snuck around spirit / content of the item. People were photographing the room, but being sneaky about it. Were in video call, then suddenly panning the room. It wasn’t in the spirit of asking people for consent in the hackitorium. Wanted to let people know I’ve observed that happening w.r.t. cameras

Dave : I just turned my laptop around without asking anyone, and sophia pointed her camera too. I think we normalized cameras for meetings, but could communicate better.

Sophia: I don’t like the idea of doing big-C consensus to enforce what’s been happening for months. Already said that.

James: Could put a 90-day time limit in the space.

pyconaut: If it helps, keep it. If it doesn’t, let it expire. Want to re-access accessibility items. Were moving too fast

It moves on to next week, Week 1 of 3 passed…

Discussion Item 2 friends at sudo room wonder about funds

pyconaut: there are several bay area hackerspaces. a sister space, sudo room, is at omnicommons, which bought a building. Currently pay mortgage, sudo room is a subtenant and has to pay part of the mortgage. Currently, bc they can’t hold events, are very far behind. Wondering if NB would be able to help them out with the funds we’ve gotten, or if we could do matching-fund / fundraiser, where we donate $9k if $9k can be raised.

Relay: QR Are we using NB funds to help pay their mortgage? (Yes), and they have a backlog of mortgage.$30k is what they’re trying to raise

kim: how much is backlog? pyconaut: $18000

dave : talked baout this before at length, ball is in their court. Need to make a plan and present it to us. What is fundrasiing like? Are you actually going to survive after? etc. We haven’t heard back yet.

pyconaut: Somewhere communication falted, because few sudo roomers other the one at meetting didn’t know we put ball in court. Earlier today, they asked about NB trying to help us out. I don’t remember it offhand, so couldn’t tell them. I’ll mention it to them when I see them in the next couple days to give us plan.

James: Started the original item, been in communication with Sudo on mailling list and IRC, they should understand what everyone at NB has said. We need to hear their plan. Doesn’t make sense to give $ amount before hearing what they need.

Relay: If we do this, may be good to set up fundraiser to help both parties

mcint: I went to the meetings, we agreed on things that would satisfy people here, but communication broke down. We gave the details already, so we could try something else?

Dave: want to be ambassador to Sudo Room

mcint: We can do this after the meeting , volunteering for Ambassador.

Dave: Should we reiterate what we want? Specifically: how are they going to fundraise, how much will make, already made, is Sudo Room going to be financially viable even with the money?

Kim: Not familiar with SUDO room, could someone give me background + relationship to NB

Sophia: Omni Commons is a large building with a bunch of collectives there. Sudo room is basically NB in Oakland.

loren: sudo room is having similar mask + space discussions for the same reasons. the additional concern is that people there are thinking about not excluding other people from the space. they think them using the space might exclude other people from the space. they are systematically different from noisebridge because they share the space and have to be conscientious about doing that.

ryan: david mentioned we’re operating at a deficit. they’re probably the same. how can they try to get back to neutral. lessons, etc?

mcint: They have rent an order of magnitude lower, but don’t have reserves. Counter culture labs was the seed point of Omni Commons, thought it would be good to put money in other things, so they don’t put money in sudo room. Easy for them to do fundraiser, so space can have its activity / working environment for people (cooperation over time rather than a lot of people at once).

pyconaut: what could help with communication channel opening is: they also have meetings on tuesdays 7 PM (actually Wednesday?) , one of them said they’re having meeting tonight. If someone from meeting could go on NB jitsi to connect to NB room, that would be great.

carl: sudo room meets tomorrow (wednesday) at 6pm

Relay: You could just have a joint meeting evey day. Everyone could meet at our jitsi server, all topics discussed.

pyconaut: Don’t know how often everyone is able to coalesce.

mcint: If I can’t provide satisfactory answer in two weeks, I can set up meeting with people who have veto power there. I worry in too big a meeting, people get sidetracked.

murmurs of agreement

mcint: could have meeting to discuss things to work on, in terms of cooperative agreement to support funding, just take advice, hear concerns, but work first with larger group

carl: Sudo room meeting time is Wednesdays at 6 PM, haven’t met every week, but will meet at 6 PM this week. Welcome to join tomorrow.

riley: how do we access it

mcint: i can do that

dave: I think the most efficient path forward is small coalition of NB meets one at Sudo to hash out details, then come and present the plan. We have mcint, other people can be involved, interested to see what comes of it.

Kim: wanted to ask q’s about the plan of action asked of sudo room people. Sounds like there’s concern about Sudo Room existing, some ppl have reservations about giving money to a sinking organization. What are metrics we would ask of Sudo room. # events with donations? Visitors / week? $ donations they receive? etc. you probs have other qustions too.

Dave: I agree with all that

pyconaut: Why ppl think Sudo Room would not exist in the future? They’ve been in the same financial situation NB has, which is net zero. Even if don’t have space, they will still exist (existed without space longer than noisebridge has). It’s more if they give money, and they move out, it’d be moot. Not much danger of that, but it would set them back a lot, as they’d have to move equipement out. And will put all their stuff in Noisebridge (groans)

Sophia: Pandemic took a big hit. Noisebridge is close, but took a while to get here. Sudo Room is much less of a stable state than we are. They’re in the X and Dan stage where NB was.

Tomfoolery

Stack

Discussion Item 3 unicorn

Unicorn is a volunteer server donated almost 3 yrs ago. We have all this infra in rack, a group at noisebridge that maintains infrastructure at 2169 (old space) maintained through ansible at Github. I had no idea and was very confused. So what I did was raise funds to create a server and do our own thing. This is why we have discuss.noisebridge.info and other sever. What’s happening is our contract is running out by mid-November. We can pay for it again, but I want to move it to the #rack infrastructure. Set up in Ansible, a literal playbook, press button and move. Jitsi.noisebridge.io should be moved there, instead of the random Windows computer. They will run faster when put in better infrasturcture. We’ve purchased a better server for another few years, so we could have more random crap. Put it into actual infrasturcture. We have a month, and use the already good machines as opposed to current $10/month contract.

Sophia: Where / hwat is #rack

James: At github on noisebridge-infrastructure. Repo is our Ansible playbook , which I don’t even understand. Spins up all of our services. Postedon a random machine at Noisebridge, X has worked on it.

Sophia : that has beeen unplugged several times

Kim: I’d love to help on a networking project

mcint: I’d like to halp as well. Can we discuss this in #rack channel on Slack?

Sophia: Where are the machines

mcint : According to repo, there’s IO cooperative, 3 different machines in 2 different locations. Throwing this out there: hurricane electric in fremont might have a deal for free rackspace for nonprofits

pyconaut : Our rackspace is special bc can’t be taken down, if Internet goes down, our servers won’t

mcint: in my use, we peer directly with other people. hurricane electric has pretty reliable internet. given noisebridge’s reputation and presence people are ok giving us stuff maybe?

pyconaut: how much do we pay for these people? for the rack space.

mcint : power goes out, same happens to the other service.

Dave: Not that critical, though.

mcint: nb used to host gcc compile farm, would love to offer that again. Good source of donations / presence.

Dave: In general , I am pro people building servers and having fun. Ppl can host things wherever, but I would highly recommend we do not get into habit of doing essential things here and maybe not do everything ourselves. As much as we don’t want to rely on the cloud, we have participation problem. PPl burn out, things that have drive in a couple weeks will be blocked.

Pyconaut: big part of that is because a few specific people who won’t give acces to eeveryone. People who worked with infrasturcture stopped bc they couldn’t get low level access for changes. Only a couple people on the planet can approve changes to #rack and one only comes once a year at most. They want help, but it’s a weird situation. There’s a reason NB infra is hard at times

Could be rebooted

We have a new website we can set up (s/o to Marco). Parts of things to set up. It just is super hard to do. Don’t want infra here if 10x cost of elsewhere

Kim needs to get on Slack.

Stack

Adjournddeded
= End of Meeting =

Note taker posts the notes

  • Clean and tidy the meeting notes including removing all these really verbose instructions.
  • Fill out the short summary at the top listing just announcements, consensus items, discussion topics, and names of new members and philanthropists.
  • Copy paste the notes to the next meeting page. (They will become Last meeting at midnight.)
  • Email the meeting summary to Noisebridge Discuss and Noisebridge Announce lists.
  • CC on the email treasurer@noisebridge.net and secretary@noisebridge.net if there are new members and philanthropists.
  • Edit the Current Consensus Items if anything is proposed for consensus next week.
  • Edit the Consensus Items History if anything was reached consensus or failed to reach consensus this week.

Fun things to do after

Hey all, would a weekly meeting be a good time to show up as a first-time attendee? Or are the meetings more for established members who need to organize things?

Tuesday meetings are a great way to get introduced to the space, all are welcome. Come a bit early and get a tour and meet people