These are the notes from the [The 648th Meeting of Noisebridge](https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Category:Meeting_Notes). *Live notes *https://pad.riseup.net/p/nbmeeting *Virtual Meeting (jitsi mic/cam off by default) *https://jitsi.noisebridge.io/hackitorium#config.startWithAudioMuted=true&config.startWithVideoMuted=true&userInfo.displayName=%22n00b%22 Date: 2021_10_05 [Meeting]([Meeting_Notes_2021_09_28|Previous)] [Meeting]([Meeting_Notes_2021_10_12|Next)] Note-taker: [and Sophia!!! Moderator: Steve * '''One or two bullet points of high-level meeting summary.''' # Meeting Summary TLDR what happened at the meeting: * Fundraising Update * Announcements: * Finances: * New members: * New philanthropists: * Consensus Items: * Discussion Items: = Introductions = * Steve - been around. machine learning, physics, software dev * TJ - he/they - this person: i haven't done that much. TJ fails the standup * MCT - that's all * Ibrahim - new! figuring out direction! glad to be here! *pyconaut-he/him- doing an art install at gray area on mission and might do some vr stuff soon. * Sophia - brewing!!! we're about to all go fucking blind! NOT brewing whisky. Demon hunters in WOW get a 3rd eye? they can see magic. NOISEBREW * Jord - they/them - she if feelin it - musician, writer, interactive web apps(?) physical fabrication! helped dave with fence! pianist classically, jazz and funk now, also write music *relay: he/him- hasn't done much either. Did try to add debian in some other places * Lizzard - they - translator and game dev I like to connect people and be a host to things. PARASITES Working on bay area consortium of hacker spaces (BACH) * corrie - she/her - primarily a game developer, but also a solderer as of monday * ait - little a this, little a that, (inaudible)blockchain * dave - he/him - normally electronics and code. today made a wide slat for the fence * Bill - online! and Nick, in another meeting food not bombs, etc . (JORD SAYS HI) * Albert - online. welcome! he is checking us out. jord says his name is albert = Short announcements and events = '''60-second description per item in bulletpoint.''' * Circuit Hacking Mondays happened yesterday and Mitch Altman taught it and it was super special! And we got $169 in donations and 20 people. Maybe Jonathan Foote will do it next time. Thanks Steve for organizing and obtaining supplies for it! * NeurotechX SF hacknights on thursday at 6pm - check on NeuroTechSF meetup * Gamebridge on Wednesdays at 8pm both in person at Noisebridge and On gamebridge discord. * Look at our 35000 lumen SUN LAMP!!! No, don't look at it. * Brewing is about to happen! Talk with Sophia! = Excellence = '''Our One Rule is to Be Excellent to Each Other.''' (What does that mean? How does the Anti-Harassment Policy fit into this? Are we SURE we know what being Excellent is? This is an important and fundamental conversation at Noisebridge, so let's give it like 120 seconds.) Sofia-I will steal steves definition. The purpose of excellence is to be cool and chill, people might be different, and be weird, but generally it is excellent to be nice to eachother. Fineline-You also need to be vaccinated against COVID-19 to come into the space! And if you let folks in, point out the sign that you are agreeing that they ARE VAXXED. Dont ask to see their documents b/c it is rude Fineline- If you let someone in the space you are responsible for them. Dave- Last night Dave requested vax cards because Mitch requested it. so that can be ok for a special event. Excellent people last week * Steve - Lizzard * Mitch - Sophia * Ronald - Jord = Participation = '''Everyone at Noisebridge is a participant at Noisebridge.''' (What does that mean? How do you get a door key? Access to Slack, Discuss, etc?) anyone can participate. as long as they are excellent. you can also get 30 day access to the space, if people have seen you around a few times and then you get daytime access to the space. you also have philanthropists, who get keys to the space and are trusted to open and close the space. members are kind of the bureaucracy. We have Slack, Discord, Discuss, and MATRIX HOLY CRAP many online participations. Also an IRC channel and a slightly defunct mailing list You can also participate digitally through our different online systems- noisebridge slack (ask for access) noisebridge discuss https://discuss.noisebridge.info/ noisebridge wiki https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/ noisebridge meetup https://www.meetup.com/noisebridge/ noisebridge discord https://discord.gg/tddK6NZ https://discuss.noisebridge.info/t/noisebridge-joins-matrix/2661 = [[Philanthropist|Philanthropists]([User:Lizzard]])]= '''A Philanthropist at Noisebridge has earned enough trust from the community to open and close the space.''' (What does that mean? What do we expect from Philanthropists? How do you become one? etc) Once you come by for a while and have a lot of trust from the community, people might start asking if you want to become a philanthropist (you can also apply right away if you think the benefits are worth it). A philanthropist is the next trust level after daytime access (30 day token) usually in escalating participation. You get 24/7 access during non plague times, pay some money (40 to 80 dollars a month), you must know how to open and close the space, give tours, and introduce new people to the space. We want you to be able to help more people be able to access the space, and be excellent! To apply you get a big M Member to sponsor you, then you fill out a Philanthropy pledge and read all the associated materials, then you come to a Tuesday meeting to submit the application. During that meeting you will be questioned for a bit, and then if no one objects to your being a philanthropist, you will become one. people in the binder * carly (skateboard carly) * dane (sudo room dane)brian (withdrew for involvement) * carly (skateboard carly) * bryan (postponed). he doesn't want to be at that level of involvement. * Liz will follow up with Carly and Dane to make s = [Membership Binder ]([)] = '''Membership in Noisebridge entails community Trust in Consensus.''' * TJ is a member and the paper is now filled out (from earlier in September) (What does that mean? What do we expect from Members? How do you become a Member? etc) It is a bureaucratic thing. within NB you can block Consensus votes when we have them. So when we have big decisions to make you should participate in making those decisions acceptable to everyone. So it is basically a slightly greater level of responsibility You want to support the space and people respect and trust you If people are telling you they think you are a member maybe you should apply You fill out a form and show up for 4 weeks = Financial Report = '''Anarchist societies under a capitalist state need money to survive and thrive, yo.'''
Funds in bank:
We are still running at a deficit
Digression on Locker and parking donations
- Pyconaut proposes 5 dollars for one (if you can), 10 for additional. Parking donations when you park in front of Noisebridge but are not using the space?
- Dave - a nice thought and nice donation but we don’t need policy for what is an edge case
- Liz- Be careful of creating transactional systems at Noisebridge, we don’t want to create s place where people think they can pay to get certain things. (ie going into the locker rental business)
- Noisetor (See the bulletpoints at the bottom of http://noisetor.net/finances/#summary): <–that link is a 404
- Any other details by those participating in handling our financials
- The latest financial reports from the treasurer are available at https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Finances ← last updated 2018
‘’‘How’s it all going’’’
- Nothing new at the moment
= Consensus =
‘’‘Consensus is how the Noisebridge Membership may change how Noisebridge works.’’’
(How does Consensus work? What types of things are good for formal Consensus? What is small-c consensus? What is a “block”?)
Everyone can participate in
consensus is the process by which things that can’t be done through basic do-ocracy (things that affect others in the space.) It has two flavors, small c and big C. Small c consensus is the process where things that might cause slight issues in the space (events, big projects, moving rooms, etc), you just talk with the community before doing things. Big C consensus is the process by which actions are taken at noisebridge that are too big, too expensive, or too critical to be done by small c consensus. These are things like Moving, spending a lot of money, or doing legal bureaucratic garbage. This is a two week+ process where an item is proposed one week (if possible you should already have the item posted in draft consensus items, and the binder). At that meeting it will be discussed for a while, then the next week it will be discussed again, and if people feel confident, it will be brought up for consensus, and if no big M member blocks the consensus item it passes and becomes a Consensed item.
''(Add any items which are consensed upon or someone has raised a principle objection for to the [Items History]([Consensus)] page.)''
Mask item from last week (this is week of 2 )
- Meeting Notes 2021 09 28 - Noisebridge
- Dave - we need to put consensus items on Discuss as a top level item
- Dave also - we shouldn’t waste more time on this can we just move on
- James was proposing extendnig it to 3 weeks because (why???)
- Sophia - nobody here who proposed it, james and zach(zach did not propose this consensus item, but he supports it), aren’t here now and weren’t here last week
- Lizzard - wait this is requireing people to wear a mask? I block it . this is basically concern trolling. people who arent here and dont intend to be here blocking stuff
- tj - a little bit of concern on discuss, but it was way more strongly worded there. here, the consensus item was rolled back so far it became pointless.
- lizzard - If someonen feels uncomfortable speaking up because they want to ask someone to mask up they should practice speaking up because that’s part of the whole point of an anarchist hackerspace we have to negotiate with each other about a lot of boundaries
- steve - other people not being here policing is annoying. they should be here if they want to make rules. no maskation without representation. people with the vaccine can transmit. i disagree with the idea that vaccinated people dont transmit and its not settled. we have no data. im not gonna block it but just continue as planned. It was somewhat for people who might not fell comfortable speaking up without a written thing on the books.
- dave - not trying to support this. lets do an internal honesty check. michael said he would prefer people were masked.
- michael - i’m oscillating
- dave - ok nvmd
- Zach - Wanted to say that he is in support of vaccination and vaccination proof as much as we can while protecting anonymity. Having masks be required is very important . Helped pass consensus early on to close the space in the old space . It had bad ventilation. We should put the safety of Latinx people in the mission as a priority by wearing masks (they account for very high covid rates). Putting the impetus on the person who wants to be safe rather on the person who wants to not wear a mask is unfair.
- lizzard - direct response. thanks zach. this is already what’s happening. by default ppl have masks on and negotiate taking them off. no way to do this without learning to have honest discussion. we don’t need a policy about this because people are already doing it like this.
- dave - wanna direct response
- zach - appreciate that people are being thoughtful. haven’t been in the space. covid safety is a big deal. we do plenty of things with small c with things that are less important, but for very important safety things, big c makes sense. maybe someone’s new to the space or is marginalized and wants to be safer, but might not feel comfortable speaking up without a rule or guideline to mention. they might be bullied or over-ridden by people with more social capital. what are the significant downsides to a mask policy?
- ibrahim - wanted to gain some clarification. sounds like less pushback about the policy per se but more about the policy itself. adding a policy where people are already following the policy is pointless. there are people who feel that without a policy others voices won’t be heard. my opinion is that mandating things where there’s already an agreement puts strain on it. i suggest we
- Ronald - default mask on and ask if you’re cool with it off or default mask off and ask others if they want to mask up - maybe it would be a good policy, but if there is one person unmasked then (???)
- Steve - Buy in that this is where we’re at Lizzard is blocking?
- Ronald do you want to make this a Consensus item ? (he is not sure) Steve and others encourage Ronald to do that
- lizzard - there’s not really a problem here. if there’s a policy then there have to be enforcers, there have to be cops. I don’t want us to be cops to each other. Zach i feel bad that you are saying to feel comfortable you want a policy. But if you come here in person and ask, people will be amenable to wear masks and ask everyone coming in to do that
- ryan - don’t forget, zach also mentioned people who were new to the space. people were really confused about our policy and didn’t understand it. “and it took 10 minutes to calm them down”. people aren’t uesd to hackerspaces that don’t have written policies on things. it confused them. Maybe we can small c consensus this. Put up some signs, If you would like us to wear mask please just ask.
- Dave - easy and simple remedy to new people in the space feeling weird. just ask them if they’re comfortable with people being unmasked. if they’re not just ask them.
- Corrie - Corrie agrees does this need to be official policy , have signs, include in tour, it’s been said
- zach - im really glad everyone’s having this conversation. important to noisebridge. burned out on covid safety from work last year.
Item Currently blocked
‘’(Add any new items for consensus to the Consensus Items] page.)’’
= Discussion =
sudo room descended on the space! jake spaz and others! yayyy
dave - this is an issue of follow-through. we’ve talked about it and proposed next steps.
sophia - what happened last week asking Loren to come to this meeting just now. sudo room people feel werid about this what do we do.
Lizzard We suggested they start their gofundme or other thing and then we will support it and hype it and offer to match some amount. Just give us something we can point to for your fundraiser
Sophia - i just put this up to see if we have new info but we don’t seem to
Ibrahim muses on the nature of anarchy . is this something that needs a remedy
TJ we don’t really know what we can do other than just hand some cash to sudo room? they have some debt . we are just confused as to what to actually do. Sportball is in sudo rooms court! S
LOREN HAS NEWS on sudo room. he has made plans to write a proposal
- what is there to say when he’s not here. give him a deadline. unclear
- Load the stuff up and put it into a storage space and pay its rent for a couple months and give him the control of it so he has instant responsibility and the stuff is out of the space
- Load the stuff up and bring it to his actual home
- Deadline of N weeks for him to remove it himself (THEN WHAT)
People were working on a disassembled microwave. It was moved from the project shelves, as it is not properly labeled for how dangerous it is. Ask pyconaut where it was moved to.
- TJ facilitates begins discussion on the microwave saying he has very strong feelings about it
- Zach points out if Steve has strong feelings about this maybe should not facilitate
- TJ explains the microwave and says maybe people want to get rid of it
- Steve - someone came to the space , and said the people working on it didn’t know what they were doing. wrong diameter tube etc. So we could ask them not to work on it here any more
- Pyconaut - Pyco has moved it to a SECRET LOCATION . no labels about how dangerous it is which is just egregious. should not have a plug attached to it in its current form. someone could plug it in and really hurt themselves. should be labelled as dangerous and stored safely.
- sophia - how does this hurt people?
- it’s a microwave
- Ait - This is not a direct response but about this object itself, microwave weapons are very dangersou and very fatal. I’d be afraid to be in the space even with a person who knew what they are doing.
- Dave - Was here in the space while they were workkng on it. they seemed OK but i specfically told them not to test it in the space so they did it in the driveway. Dave said he was not cool with that but he let it slide. Not a physicist. Dangerous to electronics not to humans as he understood it. What if we like, break a car
- Sophia -
- TJ - last update was July?
- Zach - i’m glad this conversation is happening and in terms of facilitation adn i’m not trying to tone police i’m all for people expressing anger or frustratyion but if yo’re a facilitator you’re a specific role and you have strong opinions it interferes with the democratic process. and i wan’t around for this so i don’t have experince but i want to share my epxerience that we dont have enough conversation like this and i’m so hearteneed to hear this conversation and i work with electronics so yeeah sometimes things are dangerous so we should talk about thiat and we should keep it not personal so that sounds like total unexellent behavior If you can plug a project in that’s dangerous thats not great workingn w ith ac mains in the space generally isnt done a lot for good reason and lets keep it that way i mean people can do what they want
- person on corner of table - I think Ryan said it well not dangerous if properly used. Not obvious danger and could kill you (?) with a plug on it but in such a way that you won’t have felt pain until your organs shut down
- Sophia OK so options - sf waste people. trash, immediately, in a box and let them take it out. Ask Samson to leave. Or whatever.
- Person in corner in the shawl - Just disconnect the wires we dont have to make a big deal out of this
- Dave - asking them to leave is a bit strong. we could have asked them to leave at that moment. as a warning . for a day or a week or whatever.
- Steve - too strong to ask them to leave just don’t do that here.
- Lizzard - sorry i rremember this and i just laughed and said haha dangerous what fun. I should have backed up people who were worried about the danger.
- pyco- properly set up project shelves. A computer fell on pyco last night (OW) will print a new version of project shelves guideline. to add label things that are dangerous or store them in a locker@!!!
= End of Meeting =
# Note taker posts the notes * Clean and tidy the meeting notes including removing all these really verbose instructions. * Fill out the short summary at the top listing just announcements, consensus items, discussion topics, and names of new members and philanthropists. * Copy paste the notes to the next meeting page. (They will become Last meeting at midnight.) * Email the meeting summary to Noisebridge Discuss and Noisebridge Announce lists. * CC on the email firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com if there are new members and philanthropists. * Edit the Current Consensus Items if anything is proposed for consensus next week. * Edit the Consensus Items History if anything was reached consensus or failed to reach consensus this week. # Fun things to do after * Reprise of the [[This is anarchy - we do what the wiki says!]([Hackernationale]].) * PGP Key Signing could happen now (if it doesn't happen before any given Meeting). Ask others around the space or check the list to see who wants in on the action. [Notes]([Category:Meeting)]