weather derivatives. Mixes crazy capitalism, ecologicism, benevolent economists, socialism, libertarianism, people who pay taxes, justice, injustice, etc. A naked play for learning financial markets, instruments and fintech and blockchain without getting bored.
Conceived during the hack for earth hackathon https://www.hackforearth.org hanging out with all these crazy energy industry dudes and green tech start up folks.
- Using weather derivative futures (is that even a term) for farmer’s cooperatives insurance premiums
- Using the market to discourage people from building homes in high fire zones and penalizing people for doing stupid things like planting the wrong kinds of trees and grass in areas with high fire potential (people respond to money)
Chaotic Good / potential evil
- Potentially evil - enabling real estate speculation for formerly super cold areas like Greenland or Siberia
- All the wacky things that happen in current markets
- Evil shorting behavior that benefits off people’s suffering but to be honest the market is amoral
This is on slack too, more convenient, but I guess I should post here more
I mean I want to also look at the active stuff going on now, honestly without too much of a moral lens, ti looks really interesting and there are already Bloomberg tv spots on it etc