Testing new donate server

Sup everyone.

The previous donate server was decommissioned and we’re moving donate to a server under our control. We need people to test the new instance. I’ve done extensive testing (and of course there is unit test coverage) but it’s not the same as getting some good black-box testing.

Please use the stripe testing cards:

There is a testing instance here:
test-donate.noisebridge.net

Please do all combinations of things as you can.

Logging is on, but in some cases you might get a traceback. if you can copy it and post it, that would be great. If you know the combination of inputs which caused the issue, and you can reproduce it, including that information is amazing.

The input data just has to be sane, it doesn’t need to be real, e.g. the email address just needs a@b.c format.

we really want to cut over to production on Thursday, so the more testing we can do by that would be very helpful. If you have any questions or issues, let me know.

Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks for pushing forward on this Matt!
I just tried to make a test donation and go an error.

This is the error:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.

Edit: 500 Error

Edit:
More detail: I tried a custom $2 donation with credit card

2 Likes

Thanks!

I see in the logs that an error was thrown from using a real card. Apparently we can only use the test stripe cards for testing.

I buried the test card info in my post, I’m going to highlight it.

But, that error was not handled properly, which is why you got the error 500. I’ll fix that error catching tomorrow.

edit: oh, found another bug in that log too, a more important one. Thanks!!

Ah, just tried the standard $10 donation to the general fund with a test card and it all went through ok. :slight_smile:
Thanks for getting this going again Matt! :slight_smile:

$2 custom donation also works! :tada:

1 Like

Hiya, I just got a 500 error as well when using a number from the testing cards page with the rest of the inputs made up – because not specified on that page.

CC info:
12/2019
Email:
(my personal email address)
Name:
Test1 Julee

I tried to donate $4,000,000 using the test card but got an error:
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.

I managed to test donate up to $100,000 which I imagine is the most we can hope for through Stripe anyway… At that point, getting the money without paying insane stripe fees would be better. :wink:

1 Like

Should this page work? Or not yet…

https://test-donate.noisebridge.net/projects/

1 Like

Thanks Julee,

Logged issue #12 for this

Thanks Paul,

Indeed $1m seem to be the limit.

TypeError: InvalidRequestError(message=‘Amount must be no more than $999,999.99’, param=‘amount’, code=‘amount_too_large’, http_status=400, request_id=‘req_FB6kWyucCgRy7b’) is not JSON serializable

However, you shouldn’t have gotten the server error. That happened because of the same issue Julee faced where there is an attempt to serial the CardError which throws the Type Error. That will be fixed as part of #12 as well.

It’s “technically” working as designed.

We haven’t migrated the old database yet. The data in the database is backed up, but the project functionality will be restored after the donation taking is done.

The logic is there, I prefer to put minimum functionality into production first, then enhance it after a quiet period. Once taking donations and subscriptions is back, old features will come back and some new features will be added.