State of the Elevator Feb 2020: They put a boot on it

As mentioned in the previous “State of the Elevator”, I finally got a response back from the inspection office and forwarded the documents to the Secretary and Treasurer aliases at Noisebridge.

I’ve read all 46 pages of it now, and while I can’t claim I fully understand every detail, I think I can safely share a few take-aways that should help people understand why the process of getting the elevator into a usable state has been such a problem.

Operating an elevator is a bit like operating a car, it seems. You have to have a legally-inspected car that’s safe to drive, and you have to have a license to operate it.

Noisebridge’s elevator has neither the Permit to Operate, nor the inspection records to confirm that it would be “safe to drive”. The latter is a prerequisite for the former, of course.

(Where the driving analogy falls short is that elevator permit inspectors just sort of show up whenever, and also elevator repair people just sort of show up whenever.)

As far as I can tell, the elevator has not had a legal permit since 2016. I am not great at reading these documents, so if someone wants to correct me (possibly because they know something not found in these documents), please do.

The documentation history heats up significantly about 2 years ago, and just gets worse as the elevator inspectors appear to gain information saying that non-licensed persons have done repairs on the elevator. This appears to be the “straw that breaks the camel’s back”, because the inspection office seems to have placed the elevator in sort of a “we don’t really want to deal with this anymore” no-man’s-land.

In sum, Noisebridge’s elevator effectively has a boot on it. I don’t think it’ll get towed, at least. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: