State of the Elevator, according to the inspection office

Hello happy hackers,

I called the branch responsible for elevator inspections in our region (SF).

Here is the information I had to reveal:

• what building I am calling about (exact address)

Here’s the information I gathered:

We can get a full history of inspections, repairs, and complaints by emailing this address: bayareaelevator@bir.ca.gov

They needed the building address to be able to look up our COMMAND NUMBER, which we need to send the request for documentation.

Our Command Number is 0126140

FYI the elevator is officially listed as “Out of Service”.

My next move is to email this address and request the full history of documentation. They said this is the recommended path.

The letter I will send, pending comment from all of you:

Dear Fine People At the Elevator Inspection Office,

I’m on the board of a nonprofit that requires ADA accessibility at 2169 Mission St.

Right now our elevator is Out of Service. Our Command Number is 0126140.

We would like to request a History of Documentation for this elevator.

For various reasons it has been difficult to get an elevator company to complete repairs on this elevator. It would be very useful for us to see a history of inspections on this elevator, along with any documented complaints, repairs, etc.

We’re trying very hard to help our landlord get this elevator up to code. Thanks for any and all assistance you can provide.

Cheers,

Naomi Most
Board Member
Noisebridge Hackerspace

2 Likes

Wording looks good to me personally. Very concise request for information.

1 Like

Positive tone. Hits all the key points. Nothing anyone could take offense at. The “we’re a non-profit in a jam” angle might get things expedited.

I like it.

2 Likes

OK, great!

I’m feeling out a process for good executive function here, so before I send this email, let’s ask ourselves some questions for practice…

1. What’s the risk this communication could endanger Noisebridge in some way? (low, medium, high, insanely high)

2. What is the outcome we want from this communication?

3. What difficulty level might we assess here in terms of crafting the message to get the desired outcome? (easy, moderate, hard, insanely hard)

4. Might there be “side effects” from sending this communication? (e.g. triggering more attention on us)

5. (…any more questions you can think of…)

1 Like

Can I email connect you to the landlord to coordinate?

Coordinate what? I’m just asking the city for documents about the elevator right now.

1 Like

I think maybe she means your #4 could be a real thing so keep Brian in the loop

In theory it shouldn’t be a thing but you know how these things can go

np, i wont email intro you. brian is ultimately responsible for the elevator snafu with the city.

Has any progress been made on this?
It’s been over two weeks.
I’ve actually had to buy a (very expensive) membership at Humanmade, as my new scooter is too heavy to carry up 2 stories worth of stairs.

have you considered a pulley system?

Knowing the elevator inspectors …they’d probably cite us for it… :joy:

1 Like

Yeah the pulley union is pretty strict in SF.