So I want to help manage Noisebridge

Hello! I’m a Noisebridger who understands that there is a lot to be done to keep Noisebridge afloat, but has no idea where to start, save the word-of-mouth knowledge of @themanmaran and @the . What should I do next?

3 Likes

What a coincidence! Noisebridge needs help!

Things I can think of:

Finance:

• I’d like to revamp our financial reporting and automate some stuff. It shouldn’t be that awful, since paypal/stripe/patron all have API’s. But I’ve just not had time in the last year to take it on myself.

Community engagement

• This is the really hard one. And I think you’ve been doing a good job getting people into the 5MOF. I think that supporting / advertising / managing some online events would be really awesome.

Physical stuff

1 Like

Thank you for the outline!

So to drill down into the specifics:

Finance:

• It sounds like our paypal, stripe, and patreon can be accessible via scripts, which is awesome. The question, then, is how to exchange account information. I realize we can’t just post our financial account information on semi-public forums, but we could create a guild with names and contact info so interested people can find out and help.
    (side note: ideally, general Noisebridge members could work with read-only access to the account, so the burden of weekly finance updates and PayPal API maintenance isn’t all on you.)

Community Engagement:

• Thank you! Playing secretary is a pretty easy task, all things considered. @nthmost had the good idea of using Meetup again, which has garnered some outside interest. They also have connected us with quite a few groups, which I think is essential to keeping Noisebridge alive.

• When doing this, I think I get some announcing fatigue posting to Slack, Discord, Discuss, and Meetup. I would like to streamline the process so broadcast to the most amount of people with the least amount of effort. It seems like Discuss posts are visible to more people internal the 'Bridge. I’d support a tutorial event /office hours on Discuss backend, so @James doesn’t have to do it alone.

Physical stuff:

• Sounds good. It sounds like we don’t want to invite a lot of people, so having a more person-to-person communication style would be better. I’ll make a note to add a wiki article for the Noisebridge move, which can be edited by the leading parties.
3 Likes

You’re welcome to use she/her for me! Thanks!

I will gladly provide any details you’d find helpful. We could do an online tutorial no problem. Thanks.
:+1:

1 Like

This sounds great !

I eventually also want to do an online tutorial (in the summer probably) on this Discuss forum as a non-member of NB but as someone interested in applying this platform template model to other volunteer-run collective projects I am involved with (as long as others like this idea collectively, I am amateur on this stuff .)

Hope the meeting goes well tonight !

Okay, my gut tells me discussion at a meeting is not helpful since most there have nothing to do with the server. The entire server is always doocratic so I just hope it is not going to be weighed down by beurocracy as it does not need consensus, what it needs just those people who are actually willing to work on it. Hope this makes sense. :slight_smile:

···

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021, 2:09 PM D-Pain via Noisebridge <noreply@discuss.noisebridge.info> wrote:

D-Pain Dane
February 23

This sounds great !

I eventually also want to do an online tutorial (in the summer probably) on this Discuss forum as a non-member of NB but as someone interested in applying this platform template model to other volunteer-run collective projects I am involved with (as long as others like this idea collectively, I am amateur on this stuff .)

Hope the meeting goes well tonight !

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

James Laser Trainer
February 21

I will gladly provide any details you’d find helpful. We could do an online tutorial no problem. Thanks. :+1:

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

I don’t think it’s a discussion, just the opposite: there are a lot of people interested, let’s set a date and make sure everyone knows so we don’t have to do this multiple times

1 Like

Ah man, this makes me smile. There has never been demand for such an event these last few years. I will be forever happy to host, or assist hosting in any capacity, any number of events related to helping interested people selfhost. That would be a dream come true! I do wish it happens. :+1:

1 Like

Hey, so I’ve put a bit more thought into the finance part, and realize I have no idea what I’m doing, and probably am not cut for that job.

I’m aware that there’s a spreadsheet and a bunch of donation pages, and some bills we have to pay, but I have basically no knowledge of how to break these into concrete tasks, as well as what I need to be unblocked.

I would still like to help with the financial stuff, though, but maybe more to run errands than to do any planning. Is it possible to share a specific task list (accounts to create, where to find them, who to call, etc.) so a less experienced person can follow along?