"SHUT IT DOWN!" and "OPEN IT UP!"

Some wild first drafts intended to exercise teh big C, coming out of the meeting of March 24th …

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Current_Consensus_Items

March 24, 2020 Ⅹ SHUT IT DOWN! For the upmost safety and convineince of humanity, noisebridge is hereby CLOSED until further notice.

March 24, 2020 Ⅹ OPEN IT UP! Noisebridge is as open as possible, noisebridge is hereby OPEN.

The first item might be improved upon with some massaging of the “community guidelines” doocratically stipulated in a recent post on slack:

https://noisebridge.slack.com/archives/C027UKECM/p1585172649038600

Noisebridge community guidelines for access during this lockdown:

1. Nobody is allowed to be in the space to work on any projects at this time, until the city and state relax the current shelter-in-place rules.
  2. You can come briefly in-and-out to collect any essential stuff you may have left behind. Such temporary visits require coordination with a guardian to unlock the door with their key. Such visits are to be infrequent. If the guardian or you have an issue coordinating, bring the issue to the Slack or Discuss or better, a Tuesday meeting.
  3. Guardians are encouraged to swing by individually a few times a da3y to check on the space as per a mutually agreed upon rotation. Right now the list of guardians is those with keys, i.e. @themanmaran, @pyconaut and @Wheezy . Presumably @TJ will soon join this list as he lives a block away. And a few more volunteers will surely step up.
    If you left something in the space or just need to pop in and out for some other valid reason, reach out to these guardians to coordinate your temporary access. Guardians will likely be keeping a log of unauthorized use of the space, and such unauthorized use is likely to be brought up in future meetings. Flagrant unauthorized use of Noisebridge is technically trespassing, since as a collective we have decided to comply with the shelter-in-place guidelines.
    Any and all suggestions for carrying out truly essential nonprofit activities in the space, eg printing medical masks, building digital thermometers etc, are welcomed for discussion in Tuesday meetings, and may well be approved. But such activities cannot take place in the space without consensus. Until any such activities are approved, no persons are allowed to work on projects in the physical space.

And I’m sure the “OPEN IT UP!” item could use some careful attention as well …

Anyhoo … let’s see how we do with it?

All Hail Consenso! :scream_cat:

2 Likes

I believe this is in the Suggested Topics, but I would like to also propose we as a community address some of the projects outlines here: https://discuss.noisebridge.info/t/the-world-needs-noisebridge/1574.

Whether or not we shut down noisebridge, I would like to see Noisebridge’s response to doing things like PPE production, bike repairs, and food donations. I’m not sure what essential communication structures are, and I already think we are providing computational resources as well as online education services.

I think the best solution will be the best of both sides – i.e. we may have limited access to the physical space, but we can work to support the community as Kinnard suggests

1 Like

Thinking about all this a bit more - can add some perspective, with the goal of Keeping Things Simple.

We can do “big C” Consensus if and whenever it becomes a priority.

Finessing details to distill thoughts into specific language can take some time, but that process of having the necessary conversations is where the actual magiCk happens. In the meantime we can try to keep evolving “small c” consensus and doocratic initiative.

Also … believe it or not, we may already have a previous Consensus that takes care of the “SHUT IT DOWN!” proposal

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Consensus_Items_History

2014-06-24: Noisebridge should be “as open as possible” …

OMG WTF LOL REALLY? Yeah, really. Apparently a reasonable reading of that Consensus recognizes the converse of “open as possible” == “closed as necessary” …

And in fact, shortly after that particular Consensus was reached in 2014, Noisebridge was essentially closed for business as usual for over 2 months - though there was plenty of focused activity in pursuit of a “Reboot” during those months. This involved cleaning the space out, doing work to bring some things up to code … etc.

Personally - while I was not thrilled to see the emphasis shift from “open as possible” to “closed as necessary” … it helped a lot to have had the discussions leading up to that Consensus. I think the process worked to build enough trust to allow some wiggle room - and I was happy to see how things eventually worked out.

tl;dr: No need to stress about the big C. It’s there if we need it - and this is how we can do it in terms of Having A Process. But the conversations happening around small c consensus are ultimately what it’s all about in terms of Reaching An Understanding.

@fnord This has been moved from #consensus-items back to General discussion for now, as requested in your previous message.

1 Like