Sewing machine fix-a-thon March 9

I’ve been so sad about our sewing machines not working great lately. Tiffany and I are organizing a fixathon. Everyone is welcome!

2 Likes

Yay! I have a show that evening but I plan on being there for the beginning

That sounds cool and I would like to try to help but I don’t know the first thing about servicing sewing machines. My instructor at CCSF has a guy who comes in to service our machines there (a fleet of Janome HD-1000s and a variety of Jukis, not certain about specifics), would it be worth it to see if he can take a look?

Hi @pagrus, Tiffany and I have decent experience fixing the home sewing machines, however if we can get free help from a professional we would gladly accept. You’re also welcome to come and learn from us

I would be stoked to come and learn from you. I think the CCSF guy would want to charge but I can always ask my instructor

I am hoping to come to this but I have class in the morning and I’m not sure if I can get out early. Is there anything I should bring? I figure you have tools and stuff there but I could bring spares or what have you.

No need to bring anything :slight_smile:

···

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 8:50 PM pagrus via Noisebridge noreply@discuss.noisebridge.info wrote:

pagrus

March 9

I am hoping to come to this but I have class in the morning and I’m not sure if I can get out early. Is there anything I should bring? I figure you have tools and stuff there but I could bring spares or what have you.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

The fixathon was a success! We fixed both the regular Brother machine (the blue XR1355 – just opened it up and oiled it and blew at the dust) and the embroidery sewing Brother Machine (the purple SE400 – we fixed it by taking it apart, and un-crooking the shaft that sits between the cam that moves the feed dog and the feed dog itself). Plus, Peter examined all the scissors and brought a scissor sharpener!

We bought a bunch of parts (replacement bobbin cover, pedal, thread spool stoppers, needles for the industrial machine) and will ask for reimbursement on #finance-wg via Slack.

The Juki MO2400 overlock is still not cutting :disappointed:
Tiffany and I did a bunch of oiling, investigation, adjustments, all to no avail. It technically cuts but it’s kinda chewing and not cutting cleanly. I even asked Shelby at Fabric outlet, and she said to try oiling, and if that didn’t work … just call Apparel City. So I’ll call on Monday and ask for a quote for someone to come in. I think it’s worth paying once to 1) fix the cutting issue and 2) FINALLY get it fully threaded with all 4 threads, which we’ve never actually been able to do ourselves.

1 Like

Sorry I couldn’t make it! I thought I’d be able to get out of class early but it actually went extra-extra long that day. Ironically it was my sewing class at CCSF…

Hahahah I was wondering which of the people that showed up was you, @pagrus! Well, that explains it :slight_smile:
No worries at all, hopefully next time you visit we’ll have many more working sewing machines than last time that you can use :smiley:

1 Like