Restroom accessibility signage and fixed doorknob (second floor restroom)

I wanted to check if any folks have ideas for DIY/DIO (Do-It-Ourselves) ways to create signage for “Vacant/Occupied” signage for the restrooms.
This would be great for accessibility of seeing if someone is using restroom without knocking on door and shit (including Braille text if possible ?)
Either as secondary sliding lock or DIY/DIO signage …like hotel style “Do Not Disturb” signs that could be placed on doorknob:

Claus and I fixed the second floor restroom doorknob last weekend that was previously falling apart and with the right force could be opened even if locked. Claus did majority of the work while I helped a little and sang “Eye of the Tiger” off-key as impromptu motivational music (unreliable narrator right here.)
The working doorknob assemblage came from a pile of unused parts ! (No new purchases !)

1 Like

We could potentially laser cut it, once the laser cutter is working, and get a little bit of twine.

1 Like

The trouble with signage is that people aren’t going to remember to flip it back to “Vacant” when they leave half the time, so you have to check by knocking anyway. I suppose you could make something with a clever mechanism to auto-reset but installing an occupancy indicator deadbolt seems more practical.

1 Like