Requesting a dedicated Windows machine for the vinyl cutter to teach classes

I recently secured an exceedingly generous donation of a professional plotter software suite for Noisebridge’s vinyl cutter. Yay!

Unfortunately it requires a valid Windows license to install, but the important thing is that it works and works well - and I’ll teach y’all how to vinyl cut & heat press if you’ll help me secure a dedicated machine.

1 Like

There appears to be a computer in the former location of Threed that has Windows and doesn’t appear to be in use for anything else that may suffice.

What is the name of the software?

Apologies! I moved Threed to be with the 3D printers but didn’t have a chance to set it up again before I had to leave. The current xp computer is not viable, which is why I’m reaching out to the community to help set up a dedicated Windows machine so we can have vinyl cutting and heat press classes.

Many hands make light work. I’m asking for help where I’ve reached a roadblock.

Would Threed be an option to dual boot? I have a Windows 10 license if an excellent hacker would be willing to install it on a separate partition.

VinylMaster Xpt

I use it for work and am thoroughly impressed by how easy it is to learn and quickly churn out a custom designed tshirt, bag, stickers, etc. When I reached out to the company about a license for hackerspaces, they eagerly provided their top product.

It supports a ton of filetypes like eps, dxf, svg, gif, png, pdf, jpg, tiff, ps, ai so using the files you already have is straightforward.

As much as I love FOSS like Inkscape, @tymeart and I spent a ton of time troubleshooting the InkCut 2.0 plugin on Threed using the vinyl cutter wiki page and found it to behave unexpectedly and inconsistently, if at all.

A significant aspect of a hackerspace is that it has working tools and equipment, so it’s important to me that we support what we have by ensuring it works. I didn’t even know we had a vinyl cutter until recently because it’d been tucked away unused for so long.

Threed was just moved to a table by the fire escape not set up or anything while a bunch of effort went into setting up a xp machine I don’t think helps anyone. I was upset by that.

1 Like