Projection mapping collaboration with Cartoonists

I hang out with a lot of cartoonists who teach at the Cartoon Art Museum. We’re meeting weekly and a lot of people are getting into Animations and Blender.

We are inspired by the French limestone projections of Van Gogh: Photos: A Quarry of Lights in Southern France - The Atlantic

We’d like to experiment with temporary art projection mappings on walls at Noisebridge, starting with rooms… It could get larger, and there would eventually be animations also projected onto 3D mannequins and print outs.

• How do we find out if a projector is available?
  • How can we help with the projectors as well (maintenance) shepherding

This fun project would also cross with the cool work being done in the Blender learning class !

• List item
1 Like

We have a projector in the space, I’ve seen it used on occasion. Not sure what kind it is – does it matter? I’m not sure what the deal is with the maintenance – were i to guess, it’s probably not maintained by anyone right now.

Blender class is on hiatus as it needs a new teacher.

2 Likes

@James Yes I think there should be a Blender colearning session - I’m trying to think about when to find time to lead it, I expressed interest, trying to figure out the right time since I’m usually learning surfing on Sunday afternoons. Possibly Sunday evenings?

@sophia_wisdom Aha found the AV wiki page which is probably outdated so I should update it ey? AV - Noisebridge Let me get to work

A bunch of the cartoonists is interested, we usually meet Wednesdays as well for drink and draw at 2 locations in the city. (one of whom drew cartoons on one of the first tables at Noisebridge that is still there!)

1 Like

Hey @miromi ! Any day works fine right now, the Blender class was on Sunday but it doesn’t have to be.

That page is indeed outdated. We currently have an Epson 2150 (which might have WiFi? What?) It can rotate the projection screen in addition to resizing and focus, and apparently a bunch of other features.
We also have a projector screen hung up (albeit a bit precariously), see pictures below.

Let me know if you have any more questions, and need any help with setup (the projector itself is not setup, but we can roll in a table). Looking forward to this being a thing!

2 Likes

Wow this is great! I guess I should come in and make a tutorial on how to use it - I’m scared of breaking stuff. I’ll start researching and downloading the manual and chat with the comic book cartoonists!

2 Likes