Noisebridge Meeting Notes & Discussion 3/24/2020

Here are the meeting notes from 3/24/2020. Click for direct link.

Major discussion points we ended on:

• What will happen once we begin meeting in person again? Will these streaming resources go away? Will we continue livestreaming video and audio?
  • What is the best way to handle membership and philanthropy applications now that we’ve gone digital?
  • Are we clear on who still has physical keys? Seems they are not needed by those entering the space.
  • What are thoughts on people continuing to use Noisebridge while it is closed?
  • Is it possible to re-open Noisebridge in an Essential capacity?

Our 2nd online meeting. Points were raised that could use your input. :slight_smile: Please add any missing items.

• We need to improve our wiki documentation! – https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/
  • Guilds - The need for meta organization, wiki pages and formalizing. See this discussion thread.
  • Guilds - @Mark mentioned creation of a digital coin system for Guilds.
  • Club Mate - X (slack) expressed interest in organizing mate orders, even with the space being unavailable.
  • Noisetor - @themanmaran asking for clarification on Noisetor resource needs, power + bandwidth costs, and fundraising. @elimisteve
  • Fundraising - The space brings in about $1,200 a month in cash donations. Unsure on how much is being donated online with the space being closed.
  • @pyconaut will post the 5mof livestream to Youtube! The broadcast went pretty well.
    • Also open to teaching others how to livestream on Zoom, Twitch, Facebook, Jitsi.
  • J (slack) is open to teaching Ableton audio class online if there is interest.
  • Discuss calendar works! Also, now possible to login from Google and Facebook accounts.
  • Membership - what is the best way to handle applications now that we’ve gone digital?
  • There is a philanthropy applicant seeking a member sponsor! See notes or Slack.
  • X (slack) is interested in helping setup a Jitsi instance for Noisebridge. See this thread
  • Matt is 86’ed. Discussion on Slack iirc
  • @jermops can help Noisebridge with Zoom video conferencing for meetings
  • @jermops what will happen once we begin meeting in person again? Will these streaming resources go away? Will we continue livestreaming video and audio?
  • Are we clear on who still has physical keys? Seems they are not needed by those entering the space.
  • Weezy - What are thoughts on people continuing to use Noisebridge while it is closed?
  • Dan - Is it possible to re-open Noisebridge in an Essential capacity?

Feel free to continue discussion here or on Slack. Please remember to Be Excellent to Each Other. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

NB should have a meeting (my .00002 BTC) but I don’t have the spoons for it tonight.

Recommend Zoom over Jitsi based on last week’s experience.

Allowing “emergent collaborative stack-taking” instead of having the moderator take stack seemed to be the path forward.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve created a Noisebridge Zoom account and sent you details, in case you or others have a moment to help set it up via noisebridge funds. $0.14 USD is not bad for that much Bitcoin.

fyi, Also started a thread on setting up a Jitsi instance on our #unicorn server if helping on that interests you at all over the coming days.

2 Likes

I’ve added a #meeting-discuss tag you can apply, which should make it easier to connect a new thread discussion to #meeting-notes

1 Like

Should note the two “big C” Consensus items that were added to the wiki during the course of the meeting (see https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Current_Consensus_Items)

1. March 24, 2020 Ⅹ SHUT IT DOWN! For the upmost safety and convineince of humanity, noisebridge is hereby CLOSED until further notice.

2. March 24, 2020 Ⅹ OPEN IT UP! Noisebridge is as open as possible, noisebridge is hereby OPEN.

for item 1. we should probably fix the spelling of “conveneince” - I’ll nudge X to do that. In the interim, someone else may see fit to flesh out the details a bit more, to whatever extent that may seem necessary.

I posted a comment to raise awareness of these Consensus items in the NB slack #general channel as well, with a “see also” pointing to this page.

Discuss! :slight_smile:

EDIT: Here’s the gist of my recent comments on slack:

1. “small c” consensus coming out of this week’s meeting is that we all care about “big C” Consensus
  2. we’ll be needing some “capital M” Members to attend the next meeting (online of course) to make it all righteous
  3. this may or may not seem a bit silly and pro-forma at this point … I am of the opinion that NB can handle this Excellently, and in the process hopefully come to a fuller appreciation of how Consensus can work to let everybody be Heard, with all due respect, love, and understanding

(Perhaps further discussion could be moved to a separate thread if necessary)

EDIT2: Might be useful to take this “community guidelines”: announcement recently doocratically posted on slack as a starting point for a more detailed proposal to replace the current Consensus Item 1:

https://app.slack.com/client/T027UKEC9/C027UKECM

Noisebridge community guidelines for access during this lockdown:
Nobody is allowed to be in the space to work on any projects at this time, until the city and state relax the current shelter-in-place rules.
You can come briefly in-and-out to collect any essential stuff you may have left behind. Such temporary visits require coordination with a guardian to unlock the door with their key. Such visits are to be infrequent. If the guardian or you have an issue coordinating, bring the issue to the Slack or Discuss or better, a Tuesday meeting.
Guardians are encouraged to swing by individually a few times a day to check on the space as per a mutually agreed upon rotation. Right now the list of guardians is those with keys, i.e. @themanmaran, @pyconaut and @Wheezy . Presumably @TJ will soon join this list as he lives a block away. And a few more volunteers will surely step up.
If you left something in the space or just need to pop in and out for some other valid reason, reach out to these guardians to coordinate your temporary access. Guardians will likely be keeping a log of unauthorized use of the space, and such unauthorized use is likely to be brought up in future meetings. Flagrant unauthorized use of Noisebridge is technically trespassing, since as a collective we have decided to comply with the shelter-in-place guidelines.
Any and all suggestions for carrying out truly essential nonprofit activities in the space, eg printing medical masks, building digital thermometers etc, are welcomed for discussion in Tuesday meetings, and may well be approved. But such activities cannot take place in the space without consensus. Until any such activities are approved, no persons are allowed to work on projects in the physical space. See you guys online

so, I wonder - what would it take to get Consensus on that more detailed version of “SHUT IT DOWN” given in the “Community Guidelines” edict postulated above?

(to be clear, I agree with locking it down now as much as necessary, first doocratically, next Consensually - and figuring out the details for opening back up as much as possible as soon as possible. I’d expect a reasonable Consensus on all this to be eminently possible without too much bikeshedding, but certainly some tweaks to the details could be helpful, if anyone feels strongly about something. And if I’m wrong in my expectation that Consensus is within reach, that might be a useful exercise for further study in any event. So I’m hoping people will step up to Do the Needful, for Great Justice, without too much Wailing and Gnashing of Teeth …)

1 Like

I started a new thread in #consensus-items - https://discuss.noisebridge.info/t/march-24th-2020-shut-it-down-and-open-it-up/1605/2