Network Hacking (security) 101!

event-idea

(Nate Graf) #1

I started coming to Noisebridge about a month ago and I love talking about network hacking, and what I learned is that many of y’all do too! :smile:

We all know to be careful on coffee shop (and Noisebridge) wifi, but maybe you don’t know what an attack actually looks like. Let’s fix that!

If a few of y’all are interested I’d love to host an event to share some basic knowledge about how networks work and how to break them fun, but probably not profit (that would be at least 201).

This would be a hands-on interactive event using some infrastructure I’ve built to facilitate hacking competitions over the internet. So no one is walking away without having intercepting some packets and popped some reverse shells.

Disclaimer: I am by no means an expert in this topic; part of the reason it’s a 101 :stuck_out_tongue:

(Steve Phillips) #2

Sounds really cool! I’ve studied for the CCNA, I’ve been using Linux since 2001, and I’ve presented at DEF CON some defensive crypto stuff, but there is a gap in my knowledge that what you’ve described would totally fill!

(yasin) #3

this would be awesome! im definitely down to learn

(Vale) #4

I would love that, count me as definitely interested!

I’d love to check this out as well

(anthony faber) #6

me, too.

(Mana) #7

Sounds great

(Nate Graf) #8

Dope! I’ve set it tentatively to March 22nd at 8:00pm. If y’all think a different time would be better let me know.

(Bernice Anne W. Chua) #9

@nategraf will this be a series, because that week is GDC (Game Developers’ Conference), so I cannot make it, but I want to go.

Aside from that, I am part of Events Support, so do you want to add this to the Meetup & the main Noisebridge wiki too?

(Nate Graf) #10

@Bernice Just the one event for now, and definitely appreciate you adding to there!

(Bernice Anne W. Chua) #11

Oic! (That’s too bad that I cannot make it, but I hope that everyone has fun and learns a lot from the event! :slight_smile: )

@nategraf, Is this you in Meetup.com? https://www.meetup.com/noisebridge/members/250627852/profile/?returnPage=1

I’ll copy your description and make you the organizer of that meetup event.

···

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 5:17 AM Nate Graf via Noisebridge noreply@discuss.noisebridge.info wrote:

:date:
March 22, 2019, 8:00pm

nategraf

March 5

@Bernice Just the one event for now, and definitely appreciate you adding to there!

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

(Bernice Anne W. Chua) #12

OK! Done! :slight_smile:

https://www.meetup.com/noisebridge/events/259514687/?isFirstPublish=true

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Category:Events#Upcoming_Events_edit

···

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 2:39 PM Bernice Anne W. Chua bernice.chua.415@gmail.com wrote:

Oic! (That’s too bad that I cannot make it, but I hope that everyone has fun and learns a lot from the event! :slight_smile: )

@nategraf, Is this you in Meetup.com? https://www.meetup.com/noisebridge/members/250627852/profile/?returnPage=1

I’ll copy your description and make you the organizer of that meetup event.

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 5:17 AM Nate Graf via Noisebridge noreply@discuss.noisebridge.info wrote:

:date:
March 22, 2019, 8:00pm

nategraf

March 5

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

(Nate Graf) #13

@Bernice thanks, you rock!

(Nate Graf) #14

Before y’all come next friday, you will need to install from tools on your laptop:

• OpenVPN
  • Wireshark (tcpdump also works)
  • nmap
  • netcat (nc)
  • bettercap
  • python3
  • arpspoof

It’s highly recommended that you bring use Linux or MacOS, but these tools are availible for Windows as well. If you have a Windows laptop, you can install Linux in a VM* with Kali being the canonical offensive security distribution (https://youtu.be/FVmWMogGX4Q)

(*Windows subsystem for Linux if great, but doesn’t work with packet capturing, so you won’t be able to use it here)

Topics:

• Network crash course or: how I learned to love the packet
  • Network sniffing and the world of broadcast traffic
  • Man-in-the-middle attacks through ARP poisoning
  • Network scanning and finding your next target
  • DNS poisoning so that your too can be facebook.com

(Bernice Anne W. Chua) #15

Hi @nategraf, those are all awesome suggestions!! ^___^

But since more people found out about Security 101 through Meetup, please edit the description there too, and just for good measure, please send a message/email to the people who are going to attend it. Thanks in advance!!

I hope that Security 101 goes well, and I hope that it can happen again when it’s not-GDC, so I can attend it too someday! ^_^

(Nate Graf) #16

I put there too :+1:

The plan is to cover all of those in the 2 hours!

(Nate Graf) #17

(Nate Graf) #18

Thanks for coming y’all!

If you want to continue, or didn’t get a chance to attend, naumchiactf.com will be online so you can log in any time to play!

Slides are availible here Network Hacking 101.pdf (1.8 MB) and challenge write ups (walkthroughs) are collected at github Naumachia-challenges/writeups

This was a lot of fun! I’ll definitely host another round of this workshop and would love some input or help for the next one! :smile:

The Wireshark / Naumachia event was very informative. Thanks for your efforts.
Tom Turner