Network Hacking (security) 101! [June]

Back by popular demand… ok maybe just because one guy asked, the Network Hacking workshop!

The date is set for June 7th, and we’ll start at 8:00pm!

What this?

We all know to be careful on coffee shop (and Noisebridge) WiFi, but maybe you don’t know what an attack actually looks like. Let’s fix that!

This workshop is hands-on, with the goal of having every person walk away having intercepted some packets and popped some reverse shells! It’s facilitated online using a piece of infrastructure I hacked together dubbed Naumachia (I’m an engineer, not a marketer). You can check it out now at naumachiactf.com

Topics we’ll cover:

• Network crash course in peeling back the layers
  • Network sniffing and the world of broadcast traffic
  • Man-in-the-middle attacks through ARP poisoning
  • Network scanning and finding your next target
  • DNS poisoning so that your too can be facebook.com

What do I need to hack?

You’ll need a laptop and the following tools:

• OpenVPN
  • Wireshark (tcpdump also works)
  • nmap
  • netcat (nc)
  • bettercap
  • python3
  • arpspoof

It’s highly recommended that you use Linux or MacOS, but these tools are availible for Windows as well. If you have a Windows laptop, you can install Linux in a VM*. Kali is the canonical offensive security distribution if you need to pick one. (https://youtu.be/FVmWMogGX4Q )

*Windows subsystem for Linux if great, but doesn’t work with packet capturing, so you won’t be able to use it here

Disclaimer: I am by no means an expert in this topic; part of the reason it’s a 101 :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Awesome! This was great the first time around. Thanks for doing it again.

Count me in, I really wanted to make the last one and couldn’t. Thanks for doing this.

cool! i fell behind last time. hoping to pick it up this time around!

This is great! Looking forward to it, thanks for organizing

Added a meetup event https://www.meetup.com/noisebridge/events/261921650/

Please share with any friends you think would be interested!

1 Like