Need help calling elevator repair companies!

(Ruth Grace Wong) #1

Turns out the landlord is also looking to explore alternatives to our current elevator repair company. We’ve been using Otis, and they cost just over a thousand dollars an hour. They’ve offered some discounts (a couple hundred dollars off per hour) for signing a 3 year contact with them, so let’s do some due dilligence and call up a bunch of other repair companies before signing. (thanks @kinnard for jumping the gun on this!)

I’ve called half a dozen companies in the past, and my impression is that they are often busy and not taking new customers. Luckily David, who inspected our elevator on behalf of the state recently, pointed us to the full list of licensed companies, so we can call down that list:

These are linked from " * Certified Qualified Conveyance Companies (CQCC), and recent update" here: https://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/ElevatorPubs_forms.html

I would love your help with this! Here is a spreadsheet to track who’s called what, so that we don’t double call. We need to clean it up by figuring out which companies are close enough to San Francisco, and which companies do repairs (some of them do manufacturing only) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xkNHKNhdxt69aLPyunDOMzsZ-6Uvv35LPR-fJJObFOU/edit?usp=sharing

(Lady Red) #2

What would it mean to sign a 3 year contract with them if we move in August?

(Ruth Grace Wong) #3

The landlord would be on the contract and would pay 100% of repairs when we leave.

···

On Sat, May 11, 2019, 9:59 AM Lady Red via Noisebridge noreply@discuss.noisebridge.info wrote:

mcscope
Lady Red
Laser Trainer

May 11

What would it mean to sign a 3 year contract with them if we move in August?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

(Jarrod) #4

Wow that list is intimidating. I can spend some time helping clean it up in the next few days.

(Ruth Grace Wong) #5

Thanks, that’ll be a huge help. I’ll call a few every business day morning next week. If anyone else is free during business hours (and it seems mornings are much better than the end of the business day for elevator companies), I’d love to team up with you on the calling.
Ruth

···

On Sat, May 11, 2019, 1:40 PM Jarrod via Noisebridge noreply@discuss.noisebridge.info wrote:

hicksu
Jarrod

May 11

Wow that list is intimidating. I can spend some time helping clean it up in the next few days.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

(Jarrod) #6

I started going though the list, by sorting by area code and then looking for information about them by close area codes. There is a lot of “noise” in that list. Many of them are General Contractors or Equipment manfacuterers.

I’m thinking I’ll take another pass later by seaching for local elevator repair companies and then cross referencing the list.

Such as lists like:
https://www.yellowpages.com/san-francisco-ca/elevator-repair

(David) #7

I called advanced elevator solutions (510) 281-0920. They charge 269/hr and said they specialize in this sort of repair (1949 old otis elevator). If a relationship can be established this price can drop he mentioned. Unfortunately I was a bit “unknowledgeable” on the phone but I think this person is worth calling back and they seem available. I told them I would have someone who can speak more on what the elevator needs call back. They have a mechanic Joey in the city and they may even be able to come by and look at it today. @ruthgrace @hicksu or someone more knowledgeable about the status of the elevator — do you think you might be able to follow up on this ?

(Ruth Grace Wong) #8

Yes that’s great!! I’ll call right now to ask when they can come over.

Update: just called, Victor, who’s the owner, will try to look at it in the next couple days. The woman I talked to will call me a day in advance to let me know, so I can make sure someone will be at Noisebridge to meet them. Victor works about 7am to 3pm. Let’s call back next week if I don’t get a call from them before then. (updated the spreadsheet with this info)

(Ruth Grace Wong) #10

Landlord is happy to meet the elevator people, I got his number and gave him the Advanced Elevators number.