Need devs for NB projects

Hi , we need devs. I will mentor people who don’t know anything but want to learn.

we generally try to use python, but it’s not a strict requirement.

as long as you get the ethics of open source (do some research, be curious, learn well, try before asking, ask when you are stuck) nothing else matters.

we have a number of API based projects if you want experience there.

post here, message me, whatever. help out!

1 Like

related, I have all the parts ready to make an air quality sensor for the laser room, but haven’t had time to work on it

3 Likes

I would like to help. I am starting a new job next week though and don’t know what my availability is going to look like. If there are little things I can do to get started I’d be happy to begin now

2 Likes

Hi, i know we’re about to move but let me know if there’s a list of ongoing projects I can peek at somewhere, thanks!

3 Likes

I am willing to help. But I need mentoring.

elise.scher01@gmail.com is the best way to reach me.

Awesome, and nice timing, I was just going to respond.

right now we are migrating a few projects off an old server. Once that is done, my personal opinion is to unify the event posting with a tool I have kind of written.

Our web app type stuff is written in Python using flask. we generally have postgres dbs when needed, and use caddy as the web server.

If you are all available for an in-person meeting that would be awesome. Do you all have availability in the coming weeks?

we have a great python series and I’m happy to get you up the learning curve.

we can do the sensor stuff also, but we might be moving so that would probably be proof of concept.

we can just treat this as a project based engineering thing. drop in, drop out, what ever, there’s no obligation.

thoughts? sound good?

I still want to help and learn. I know a bit of Python and html. I want to learn more. I have mostly been teaching recently. I am a fully credentialed special education teacher. But I used to code for a living, but using older tools. I have a teaching job interview this afternoon in San Mateo. I am working tonight. I would like to mostly work remotely. I live in Santa Clara County. I don’t like parking in SF. Last time I did so, my car was broken into.

Ok, no problem, these can all be done remotely.

···

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019, 09:07 Elise Levenson Scher via Noisebridge noreply@discuss.noisebridge.info wrote:

elisescher01

[Elise Levenson Scher](https://discuss.noisebridge.info/u/elisescher01)

June 10

I still want to help and learn. I know a bit of Python and html. I want to learn more. I have mostly been teaching recently. I am a fully credentialed special education teacher. But I used to code for a living, but using older tools. I have a teaching job interview this afternoon in San Mateo. I am working tonight. I would like to mostly work remotely. I live in Santa Clara County. I don’t like parking in SF. Last time I did so, my car was broken into.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

rando

[Matt](https://discuss.noisebridge.info/u/rando)

Laser Trainer

June 10

Awesome, and nice timing, I was just going to respond. right now we are migrating a few projects off an old server. Once that is done, my personal opinion is to unify the event posting with a tool I have kind of written. Our web app type stuff is written in Python using flask. we generally have …

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Great. You mentioned a python series? Also sounds like I would need to learn flask and caddy.

the python class series is at Noisebridge. but there is plenty online, and you will learn more as you work on a project. I don’t have specific tutorial by there are many. if you find one that’s appealing to you I can help you through it

flask is a web app framework in Python. I like this tutorial: https://blog.miguelgrinberg.com/post/the-flask-mega-tutorial-part-i-hello-world

don’t worry about caddy for now.

1 Like

Hello! I would also be willing to help. I’ve been working with Python for some time, don’t know flask but would definitely be willing to learn. I also second @jcwilk 's question about a list of ongoing projects to work on.

I am available most weeks in the evenings after 7 and generally will be in NB around then!

I usually swing by on wednesday evenings but I live in the city so I’m fairly flexible. I’m experienced with rails so I can likely pick up flask quickly though time will tell lol

Awesome everyone, this is great.

I’m going to be at NB tomorrow for most of the day I think. If you can swing by, great.

There’s a smallish list of projects right now, but there’s many things that need to be done on devices that run python. basically everything.

book scanner
ordi booth
ngalac
donate
event integration

and more I’m sure. there’s fun shit too. but if you want to learn apis, databases, web apps, device integration, there’s a thing for you.

we can hop on rocketchat too, might be a good idea to maintain a room there. I’d like to do most issue communication via GitHub so it’s tracked for history reasons.

down the road there will probably be plenty of device integration. flashentaschen, the dmx lights, and Mary all have python interfaces.

From when until when will you be there today do you think? I’m currently tied up with a small project so it’d be more planning ahead for a week or two from now so no big rush, maybe I could catch you before/after the meeting next Tuesday?

Looks like I missed (or am missing) the boat on this one. I would still like to help but not sure how that is going to shake out.

I know some python, have worked with flask a little bit. The job I just started is looking like it’s going to be a M-F 9-5(+) type thing so weekends or evenings would be best for meeting in person. I actually thought I’d be writing more code at work than I am, so it would be cool to keep sharp with some other projects

Edited to add:
I’d actually love to work on any db/postgres stuff that comes up

if anyone came I missed them. I need to get my shit together a bit and post some repos we can look at. @metasyn you interested too? you already started work on the meeting thing

Yeah! Totally interested in helping out with some projects. Lets see if we can separate the projects more distinctly and figure out who is interested in working on them. Likely lots of people are happy to help but we need type of project management to get people working together successfully IMO (maybe I’m too corporate haha)

Personally I’m mostly interested in the event coordination stuff, since it seems frustrating for new people (including myself) finding both outdated or conflicting information. It would be really cool if we had a unified way of creating and referencing events at noisebridge so there was a single source of truth; hopefully making events easier to find and distinguish (e.g. one-offs versus re-occurring things) would not only attract new people to noisebridge, but literally make it easier for people to connect/hack/destroy capitalism successfully.

@rando I saw you had started the meetthings repo but we seem to keep missing each other for meeting in person in the actual space - we might still be able to make some good progress by making a new thread that is specifically about event coordination. It feels like we mostly need to sync on how to unify the experience of creating events, and how they’ll get translated to the correct service/output (i.e. meetup.com or a calendar somewhere or whatever).

Should we create another thread to discuss (asynch if we can’t meet in person) what the event coordination stuff would really look like on a functional level? After we decide on what it is integrating with, we can actually start designing/developing on a common goal I think.

1 Like

@culteejen and I ran into each other in the space and discussed stuff, they are interested in the bookscanner so have started hacking on that. The book scanner currently works well, but could use some UI enhancements and things, and we need more people with knowledge on how it works to pass that on.

There’s always more integration projects. Like it would be amazing to link discourse and rocket chat so there’s 1 user across both systems, using discourse as SSO.

Shortly there will be work to create a GET only API for donate, so people can pull data from it for reporting purposes.

@James and I were talking about looking through all the discourse plugins that would be good to have, and that spinning up a testing instance of discourse would be very helpful.

@metasyn I’m 100% behind project management, and if you don’t mind doing it, i would happily support. Basically treat this all like open source stuff. PM is fine, as long as it’s clear we are all volunteers and there’s no pressure.

Noisebridge has a trello but im not sure we can add more boards since their last update. An open source PM system would be great, though, we can install it on this server. Any opinions there?

Oh there’s also projects around admin tasks for technology in the space. We want to create machine images, specifically so we can deploy them when machines get messed with. e.g. we had someone overwrite the first sector of the laser machine a few months ago. We restored an older image but it wasn’t great because for various reasons, then finally created a new one.

I dont know the latest, but it would be nice to have a 32G or less image, or maybe even PXE images where we liveboot a USB stick and select which machine to pull down. A challenge is the heterogenous hardware and setups.

I would love a base linux image which can then pull down crafted windows VMs so people think they are on windows. @_ar and I worked on something similar in the past and it seems to work well.

So far this thread is the only list I’m aware of. The majority of things get done because a people want to do it, then they move on. I agree it would be good to formalize things, and this si basically the starting point.