NB Meetings - centralize meeting planning

(Matt) #1

Meeting planning is currently a bit difficult: You have to find someone to post on meetup or become a meetup organizer, you have to update the events page, create your own tweets and find someone to tweet them out, schedule them, email the list, etc.

I’m creating a single form to do all of that. Eventually. the meetup part is done but as usual my front end skills are atrocious.

I’d like to integrate buffer so we can tweet and hit FB easily, scheduling posts “now”, and “1 week before” and “day of” or whatever, using standard templates or custom. The rest is fairly straight forward.

I’d like to set up a CalDAV server on unicorn so we can actually host a real calendar ppl can subscribe too. The wiki is…bad. really bad. I’d rather stick a calendar in a iframe.

Help me out pls! This is a bit of work that is easily split

(xander johnson) #2

Second the real calendar idea! Was there anything in particular you wanted help with?

Nextcloud for Noisebridge
(Tyler Maran) #3

I could help out on front end. I’m not familiar with Flask, but I have used enough templating engines to get the gist of it.

I’m interested in working with Buffer personally, so I could work on it for this project.

(Matt) #4

at the moment I’m refactoring the back end, but front end help and buffer integration would be great.

Also if someone is familiar with generating wtforms (or classes in general) on the fly, that would help me finish the back end.

the architecture is basically a json file defines a set of fields for a calendar object (think one for iCal, one for Meetup, and a ‘master’ which is internal to the tool.)

objects are created from the json files, which are then passed as wtforms objects to Flask. wtforms can create modular forms for reuse (eg a date field).

for the front end, pretty iCal inputs especially recurrence would be great on top of everything else like venues, etc.

we can meet up maybe later this week? maybe even schedule a meet up and get more ppl involved.

I’ll send out my repo later today, I think master has a good set of examples of everything including my terrible form.

···

On Wed, May 1, 2019, 08:54 Tyler Maran via Noisebridge noreply@discuss.noisebridge.info wrote:

themanmaran

[Tyler Maran](https://discuss.noisebridge.info/u/themanmaran)

May 1

I could help out on front end. I’m not familiar with Flask, but I have used enough templating engines to get the gist of it.

I’m interested in working with Buffer personally, so I could work on it for this project.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

(Matt) #5

Here’s the repo forked to noisebridge’s org.

https://github.com/noisebridge/meetthings

The name is stupid but hey, naming and cache invalidation are the two hardest topics in programming.

The directory “schema” holds json files which describe data requirements. Right now only ‘meetthings.json’ is important.

The model is:
form_name: { field name : {'type': field type, 'validators': validator, ...}}}

A dictionary of the forms is passed to the rendered, and used by the templates.

Some extra information is required. In a file in the ‘instance’ directory put this in meetup-test-api.cfg:

URLNAME="Meetup-API-Testing"

SECRET_KEY='80b2c1c4-5024-49c2-816f-3c449109c53'
MEETUP_API_SECRET='get your own'

GROUP_ID="1556336"
GROUP_URLNAME="Meetup-API-Testing"
URLNAME="Meetup-API-Testing"

VENUE_ID="4567"

TIME_FORMAT = "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"

you’ll need to install the package:
pip install -e .

this should theoretically work at this stage:
$ flask run

which will lauch a wsgi on port 5000. you can go to localhost:5000/NewEvent to see if everything went well.

(xander johnson) #6

Are the permissions set correctly?

https://github.com/noisebridge/meetthings gives me a 404

(Matt) #7

ah, i forked a private repo. I’ll deal with it, but can’t right now.

(Matt) #8

Ok, it should be working.

(xander johnson) #9

Sweet. I ran into a handful of issues getting it running, made a PR with a bunch of the changes I made to get the basic form to work. I’m not sure if I broke anything, since, I couldn’t get it running before that.

I made some assumptions we’d want a code formatter/linter, some unit tests.