MetaGuild Charter

Hey there, so I created a proto-document that we could look at and analyze, which includes some badge ideas.

I think this might be a good starting place, as the MetaGuild and its Charter might just have to be the guiding force for other guilds by fiat. It could be the glue that holds the guild system together, I don’t know for sure.

I’ve highlighted (by bold text) some questions/points of discussion. Things I am having hesitation/internal questions about and would like to discuss. Yes, this includes whether we name these documents ‘theories’ or ‘charters’ or whether it matters.

Something still very vague that the document does NOT address is how information is to be organized online. (wiki, main website, forums etc) I suppose it probably should include such guidance so that it can serve as a model for other guilds, but specifically not decree exactly what must be done on their part. I think it ought to specify to a greater degree what the ‘Guild System’ is (a formal system) so that there is no confusion as to what is included/excluded from it?

Another question might be something like “to what extent does the greater Noisebridge community need to respect the Guild System as defined here?”. Should there be a Consensus proposal based around this which sanctions this as some kind of official Noisebridge process?

Also, fwiw: I envision a future in which we generalize the subsystems of this and share them, open source style, with the greater hackerspace community so that we can serve as a model for how to organize a self-regulating, homeostatic anarchy.

Anyway let me know what kinds of thoughts/questions you have.

I don’t see a reason to impose any sort of consensus on guild creation. It is entirely doocratic and voluntary, though also excellent to take part in. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Also, fwiw: I envision a future in which we generalize the subsystems of this and share them, open source style, with the greater hackerspace community so that we can serve as a model for how to organize a self-regulating, homeostatic anarchy.

Success and failure are always intertwined. It is awesome to share all of this information with the broader community and I strongly recommend just considering everything freely available to implement by others at all times.

Should there be a Consensus proposal based around this which sanctions this as some kind of official Noisebridge process?

After reading the charter I’d think you are considering making Membership itself (of Noisebridge) into a guild. If so, might need formal consensus depending on the ramifications, but it would be great to avoid this bureaucratic process in as many aspects of guilds as possible.

Let’s assume a guild connects to each group of interests at Noisebridge- it will be an ad-hoc task to empower each with something beyond what they can already achieve individually & doocratically… this is a bridge guilds hope to build, if I"m reading this correctly.

Something still very vague that the document does NOT address is how information is to be organized online. (wiki, main website, forums etc) I suppose it probably should include such guidance so that it can serve as a model for other guilds

Hopefully people will want to share their knowledge far and wide, in as many places as possible! Guidance is awesome :slight_smile:, especially if MetaGuild helps others hit the ground runnning, sharing a crystalized idea of how Noisebridge can help us help each other.

The more self-guidance, the better! Especially when combined with community support from the many flavors of varied interests that surround us.

Goodnight. :sleeping:

This process is too confusing. I’ve added a draft copy of the Charter directly into our wiki. Anyone who is interested may edit it, or discuss it here. :slight_smile: Hope this helps.

…Which process is too confusing?
EDIT: I’m assuming you mean the community input process. Guess that’s fair. XD

I think my question re: information organization should be revised to “To what extent should guild organization guidelines be included in this document?” As the plan is to have some sort of document on the main website I guess this document just needs to point to it? We want the guild organization guidelines to be somewhat rigid, but very changeable. Perhaps it can be stated in the charter that only Masters of metaguild can edit the guidelines after a Guild Consensus about it?