Meeting Notes Transcript from 06/16/2020 as markdown

These notes also live on our wiki – Click here.
Converted to Markdown via Pandoc.
Continuing the discussion from Tuesday General Meeting 06/16/2020:
Next meeting will be 06/23/2020 at 8pm PST.

Introductions

Ryan (pyconaut)- exploring VR, doing the Special Aaron Swartz Day
Hackathon RF edition Ⅹ - volunteer interim/acting Secretary Tiffany
(she/her) - usually at Free Code Camp and sewing project nights Mohamad

  • here to help set up the meeting at Noisebridge today, also helping
    with cleaning and getting ready to move ╦ ═ (⚨) - $ / (-.-)Zzz… Mark -
    *silence* Dan - have been Noisebridging for 7+ years, love
    Noisebridge! Rikke - haven’t been in the Bridge since 2010, have been
    lurking for a few years James

Short announcements and events

60-second description per item in bulletpoint.

FIVE MINUTES OF FAME (online edition) - traditionally third thurs of the
month. Potentially simulcast from The Bridge Encourage people to
prerecord their 5 minute talk 5MoF - This coming Thursday 8pm, Zoom,
jitsi, youtube, other, etc…

This past Saturday, Aaron Swartz Day Hackathon RF Edition started
(https://www.aaronswartzday.org/virtual-hackathon/)

Support your local digital library https://archive.org/ - they’ve been
having issues with lawsuits/copyrights since the pandemic started

New Philanthropists

none New Members

none Financial Report

Anarchist societies under a capitalist state need money to survive and
thrive, yo.

Funds in bank: (from last week)

₿/$: 305,227.03k total 224,792.97 cash 80,434.06 crypto Still slowly
selling off crypto. 26% crypto

6/16/2020 Cash: 224,792.97 Crypto: 80,434.06 Total: 305,227.03

Noisetor (See the bulletpoints at the bottom of[http://noisetor.net/finances/#summary]):
Any other details by those participating in handling our financials
The latest financial reports from the treasurer are available at[https://discuss.noisebridge.info/c/finace/39]

Fundraising Update

How’s it all going

GuildMaster’s Report

What is the current state of structural organization at Noisebridge?

What guilds are active? (Read the active guilds from Guilds wiki page)
(For each guild mentioned, ask if guild rep is present for a brief status update)
Would you like to join or start a guild? Checkout our guidelines or contact MetaGuild for help.

Consensus Proposals from last week

(Add any items which are consensed upon or someone has raised a
principle objection for to the Consensus Items History page.)

Affirm two proposals from Zach on Closing the space and limit to 4
people. Update as consensed to history.

X: These items have been discussed in the past 2 meetings. I recommend
making the official date for consensus to be this week. If anyone wishes
to express a block from themselves or via a proxy, please do that now.

X: I think we can conclude and confirm that we have proper capital-C
Consensus on the items of closing the space and limiting the max
occupancy to 4. If anyone like to update the wiki to reflect this new
date, please do so, or else I will do it at the end of this week.

Proposals for next week

(Add any new items for consensus to the Current Consensus Items page.)

Dan: I would like to encourage people to start thinking about the next
consensus we’ll have to make, which is how to keep NB safe as possible,
and how to open it as safely as possible. We have some time, but we
should get started on hashing it out.

X: That sounds like a great thing to add as a consensus item for next
week.

Dan: If someone could step up and write it, that would be good. If it
were up to me, it would just be “let’s make NB as safe and open as
possible…” If people want more details, they’ll have to spell it out.
If we get it next week, great, if it’s after that, it’ll work too.
Discussion Discussion Item 1

What is up at 2169

Mohammed: As we discussed last week, NB is closed and the limit is 4
people. I haven’t seen more than 3 people in the space in the past 2
weeks. People who come here are aware of being safe, being 6ft away from
each other. In the future, we are planning to have areas designated to
work. We’re separating 3 spaces (Hackitorium, Church, Woodshop). They
are cleaned and can receive people. That’s what’s going on at NB so far.

X: Thanks for helping Dan and I have a safe visit over the weekend.

Dan: Thank you for keeping NB as open as possible. Now we gotta make NB
as safe as possible. We’re going to need all the help we can get to make
it the safest space. It’s not the safest in terms of contracting COVID
… If anyone walks in without a mask, they may as well be walking in
smoking a cigarette, imposing a risk on others. It takes conversation,
and we need people taking turns having it. We’ll take it step by step,
and it’s excellent to have so many people doing this.

X: Dan and I went in Sunday, we made sure to communicate when we were
coming, why we wanted to come to the space. We contacted the current
keyholders, Mohammed. We chatted about what’s the status of the space,
is it safe to do what we wanted to do? I updated phreak, set up electro.
We spent some time cleaning and sorting the main Hackitorium space, as
well as the rest of the space. At one point someone wanted to come clear
out their locker, so Dan went out for a walk so we wouldn’t have more
than 4 people in the space at a time.

Dan: We need PPE, lots of large gloves, and hand sanitizer, if you are
able to procure such items for NB. Mohammed has given his phone number,
and maybe other people would be able to get the supplies to NB.

X: The space has been re-keyed several times. I’m aware of 4 key
holders: Mohammed, Tyler, Ahmad, Wheezy. They keys are not being
distributed for replication. Dan and I have pictures of the current key.

Dan: Even if we’re careful, someone could get a copy…

X: Anyone who wants a key should communicate that to the community,
reach out to existing keyholders. I think there’s been a consensus among
keyholders and visitors of the space that we don’t want copies of keys
to be made.

Discussion Item 2

Guilds

Mark: 1) Seems lately we’ve been having a guild theory meeting on
Thursday nights at 8pm. If you want to talk about them at length, that
would be the place to do it. https://meet.jit.si/MetaGuild

2) We were talking about badges. We’re trying to get people to start
making them. If you have special interest group, think about how you
want them to work. There are a couple of ways we could implement this.
Basically we’re trying to gamify NB. We could use the Discuss badges?

Pyconaut: I want to repost the doc I was working on, if people want to
use it to start coming up with badges… People can comment on it, use
it for ideas. It also has a kinda accurate list of current and possible
guilds with their Slack channels, Discuss pages, and wiki pages.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1o8FT71W0iERuiayCIpaF0sB8v55L8sZ-Mvb0mcvms98/edit?usp=sharing

Mark: What’s the point of badges you can get without being part of a
guild?

Tyler: They need to be physical badges.

Mark: They just have to be official, don’t need to be physical.

Pyconaut: In Discuss they’re automatically granted to people who post a
certain number of times or like posts a certain a number of times. Those
are achievements. Badges you get from guilds; achievements are things
the system (Slack, Discuss, wiki) gives you.

Mark: In Discuss, they’re called “badges” by default. That could be
confusing.

James: Nothing in Discuss is specifically tailored to NB. Would be nice
to have badges to show appreciation (e.g. for cleaning the space).

Ⅹ: I like the idea of optional physical versions of badges as well.
Imagine we can coordinate a bit of the admin tools between discuss and
wiki to allocate some as well.

X: So there’s a Jitsi and a guild meeting?

Mark: Sort of, its kind of like part of the philosophy meeting.

X: Maybe we could overlap/time it with 5MoF this Thursday.

Discussion Item 3

Moving from 2169 Mission

Pyconaut: Since NB is now closed and has a 4 person maximum, we have to
figure out how to get the most done moving-wise with 4 people at a time.
The people who are visiting our space, we have to figure out how to get
them to pack up our stuff in preparation for the move. How about having
people in the space getting pictures of the space as it currently is,
and pictures of our large/delicate items, and having them shared with
the people who care about those areas/tools. The people who have used
those items will know how they should be handled and packed up.
Otherwise it would put a lot of pressure on the few people in the space.

Mohammed: I can take pictures. I can help.

X: We’ve also set it up where people can pull up Zoom/Jitsi if they have
questions about breaking down certain tools.

Pyconaut: Also figuring out where to set things that have been packed up
so that they’re not in the way. Would be best to clear out all the
rooms, put the boxes in the bike area. We need to try to pack up as many
things as possible without cutting the Internet or power.

X: Moving the website homepage from old reboot landing to original Wiki
homepage by default. Open pull request in #rack and likely waiting on
SuperQ pushing some buttons. We still have noisebridge.org as a
public-facing website. Marco started and is working on that and we’re
still looking to deploy. The info about accessing NB is outdated, so
I’ll start making edits on that.

X: We need more PPE gear. Would be good to have some Food & Drink, for
volunteers in the space. WRT to the budget - do we have enough for
Supplies, do we need to hire external or other support?

Pyconaut: We’ll need to rent/buy/build a stair dolly and a pallet truck.
Our heavy items are really bulky, so we would need multiple people
moving them down the stairs. Even if we only had 4 people, it would
still be pretty unsafe because of how narrow the staircase is. We have
to figure out what we want to do to move those items. But those items
can wait till the end of the move. I’ll write up a list of the items I’m
thinking of that will be pretty difficult to move, and the ones that we
won’t be able to easily take out of the space. Has anyone heard about
where we are on the lease signing?

X: Last I saw, there are some legal clarifications needed on the
sprinkler certifications.

Pyconaut: We could actually move everything and fully shut down 2169 and
stop paying before we start paying for the new space. Which means we
could theoretically be getting away with not paying rent, which would
save us like $20,000.

X: What’s the best way to follow up with what’s happening with moving?

Pyconaut: Once the photos are taken of the different spaces, I’ll upload
them to the relevant Slack channels and Discuss pages.

lxpk and I are working on our Aaron Swartz Day project and not so much
the virtual NB right now, but they use some of the same stuff…

Discussion Item 4

Aaron Swartz Day Hackathon updates

LoRa:

Emergency LoRa network creation (antennae, repeaters, phone connectivity
and messaging software) Project Lead: Matteo Github for this LoRa
project: https://github.com/AaronSwartzDay-SSP/LoRa

Basically, this network is for the worst case scenario – which doesn’t
seem as unlikely as it used to seem – where – after we have lost all
internet wifi and even cell phone reception, we could still be able to
send text messages to each other over our own emergency LoRa network.

OP25:

Project Lead: Ⅹ

OP25 “Open Project 25” (works with GnuRadio) Github of our code for this
project: https://github.com/AaronSwartzDay-SSP/op25

Debian package for testing:
https://github.com/AaronSwartzDay-SSP/op25/tree/master/debian

https://www.noisebridge.net/OP25

GOALS: We are looking for software developers and hardware hackers with
software skills to help us: – tighten up the code – help with testing it
– writing good docs for it

VR Museum:

Pyconaut: VR Demo

https://aaronswartzday.queeriouslabs.com/ASD2019/swartz-manning-museum

Also currently in VR Chat "Swartz Manning Museum" in community labs area.

Walk thru of Noisebridge in VR demo

Bill & Ted makinga comeback
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hAL7emClFM

Call it done at ~21:30 End of Meeting