Keeping this Forum Updated

I’d like to help maintain the forum and as it needs to be updated from 2.4.x to 2.5.x
Is there anything I should be aware of to make the upgrade process painless in Docker? Would really appreciate any input from @tdfischer on best practices. Thanks!

4/4

• Enabled Zoom Pro account at $15/month, but webinars add an additional $40 per month in order to integrated with this forum. Hopefully that Jitsi integration will be more successful.
  • Added Patreon Plugin Social Login and defined Group.
    Needs Webhooks to add donation information and custom badges.
    Needs Stripe integration and web hooks
  • Add HowTo badge for documentation. This will also relate to allowing web editing by users of Trust Level 1 or 2…?

4/3

• Renamed agenda to Events in menu.
  • Renamed latest to Topics in menu
  • Renamed Knowledge Explorer to Explore
  • Simplified items in top menu

Good to Haves:
About page could be fixed up to include Social Media links.
Add Noisebridge specific info to FAQ
Add more Wiki page links
Write up post on Pandoc for x-post to Mediawiki
Add Checkboxes plugin
Add Anonymous Mode switch to when drafting a post.
Add Subscribe button from Calendar to Events view
Add Meetup Events URL to bottom of Events
Set Lounge to teach others how to use Anonymous Mode
Add a badge reward for receiving a howto tag.
Add Infrastructure using Kanban View to track status
Import Trello item to Kanban View and setup a page right here.
Configure read-only mirror of Discuss Mailing List
Configure read-only mirror of Announce Mailing List
Auto-import Github items to #guilds:rack
Switch over all guilds and infrastructure categories to groups
Write custom parameters with Data Explorer plugin
Test Group Tracking plugin
Test e2e encryption plugin
Migrate forum to official Docker images
Fix Google Oauth
Add Discord Oauth
Add Twitter Oauth
Add Twitch Oauth
Add Github Oauth
Facebook messages to Discourse via Zapier
Meetup event questions to Discourse via Zapier
Add search bar
Redirect Search icon to Explore
Redirect Noisebridge icon to hamburger menu
Remove cruft from Hamburger Menu
Add real Trust Levels
Add real Badge Rewards

1 Like

I upgraded Discourse last time and just ran

$ cd /var/discourse; sudo ./launcher rebuild app

More instructions:

Looks like we can upgrade through https://discuss.noisebridge.info/admin/upgrade , too, which is pretty cool, though I haven’t tried it.

2 Likes

Thank you @elimisteve . We are up-to-date @pyconaut. Moving this topic to #meta. Hmm, I see a new notice now:

• Sidekiq is not running. Many tasks, like sending emails, are executed asynchronously by sidekiq. Please ensure at least one sidekiq process is running. Learn about Sidekiq here.

• Events plugin is no longer working at v0.1 and needs to be fixed. I’m wondering if it stopped working due to an earlier system upgrade. See this thread.

1 Like

Okay, checked …/containers/app.yml per the plugin installation instructions linked earlier.

app.yml was updated with correct Git repo urls for these two plugins:

Rebuilt the container successfully
$ cd /var/discourse
# ./launcher rebuild app

Still seems something is not working for Events… see this discussion continued on the meta.discourse forum

Event functionality has been restored thanks to the wonderful information and guidance on https://meta.discourse.org

1 Like

Thanks for updating things James! This should be a regular metaguild responsibility I would think. Were we notified there was a new version (if so, where? I missed it) or did you just happen to check?

1 Like

The big update had been available for weeks, or possibly months. I got it sorted it out thanks to the excellent docker-manager plugin, advice from @elimisteve and the excellent info at meta.discourse.org

We’ve had a lot of volunteer changeover and could use a couple new people to help manage this server, especially if they are comfortable learning the basics of managing the server together. See details at https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Unicorn

Something you can help with right now:

1 Like

Yes and YES. I’ll get on it later today

1 Like

Google Login has been enabled for this forum. You should now be able to login from your Google account directly. Let me know if any issues.

Cool, thanks @Mark. Here is more info on what is needed.

Twitch auth

Register a new Twitch API application at http://www.twitch.tv/kraken/oauth2/clients/new
Client ID
Client Secret

discord client id

Discord Client ID (need one? visit the Discord developer portal)

discord secret key

optional discord trusted guilds

Only allow members of these Discord guilds to login via Discord. Use the numeric ID for the guild. For more information, check the instructions here. Leave blank to allow any guild.

Steam Login instructions

• note to self: I’ll also need to install the Steam plugin to Discourse

Facebook Login has also been enabled for the forum. Please test and tell me if any issues.

Kanban View has been enabled for testing in the following channels:
#meta , #staff and #projects.

Browse to any of those channels and select Kanban View.