I will endeavor to stop using Slack this year. You can too

At some point in the next ~3 months, I’m going to try and drop off slack for a whole month and see about getting people to join me in this great exodus to discourse.

Who else wants to join me in this experiment? Maybe mid-February or something. That means we’ll need to have a critical mass built up by then, a reasonably trivial task. It also means everyone needs to start inviting people to this and getting everyone on board.

Most people here should have invite powers. If that isn’t the case, please let me know and I’ll give you the bits. You can find your invite tools in your user profile, under the Invites tab.

3 Likes

Who else wants to join me in this experiment? Maybe mid-February or something. That means we’ll need to have a critical mass built up by then, a reasonably trivial task.

When it comes to getting people to move off Slack, let’s do it. While I am not confident that Noisebridge is better off without something like Slack than with it, I agree with the goal of ridding ourselves of Slack proper (and replacing it with Discourse or RocketChat).

Ideas for making this additionally appealing for people and thus more likely to succeed:

1. How about we do this Kickstarter-style: either we get, say, 20 people to agree to
  2. Whoever decides to be part of #SlackExodus changes their Slack icon to some specific symbol
  3. Similarly, we and our fellow #SlackExodus folks could wear something visually obvious, like a sticker on our shirts, that means we’re dedicated to leaving Slack in the hopes that people ask about it
  4. Let’s (or do you just want to?) write out a couple paragraphs explaining why we want to dump Slack, then post this short piece to the mailing list and – ironically – Slack

Thoughts?

2 Likes

I’m in.

Oh, apparently the post has to be 20 characters. Ok. Well, here’s some more I guess.

2 Likes

I think the only things that really tie me to Slack at this point are:

1. Access to the treasurer(s)
  2. Communication with the rest of the Noisebridge Gaming Archivists
  3. Posting updates to the inspection channel, which could just as easily go here.
  4. Trying to gather support for events from as broad a selection of our community as possible, i.e. posting about cleaning days and such in the General channel
3 Likes

I’m gonna be trying this in a limited fashion starting next month. For organizing reasons I’ll still be in a very limited number of slack channels, namely ones related to fundraising, but outside of that I’ll try to use it as little as possible and loudly complain that everyone should post their stuff here so I (and others) can read it like the entitled shit I am.

This’ll take a bit more hand-holding in the community to nudge more content to move over here, and will be a good time to figure out how non-public group comms can work!

3 Likes

I’m definitely in, so glad we’re using our own infrastructure.

5 Likes