Guild Coat of Arms

Hey All,

I’ve been looking through this site https://www.heraldryandcrests.com/pages/symbolism-of-heraldry to find symbols for Electronics. Soldering is a good one however I think soldering is one small piece of what Electronics is about. @mcscope Would you mind if we revisited the Guild Coat of Arms and worked on it together?

I’m going to dump some things I liked.

1. Candlestick - Light and Life
  2. Carpenter Square - Laws of Equity (because physics)
  3. Comet - Insight and Wisdom
  4. Fish - Generous mind
  5. Flame - Zeal or energy (If electricity were an element, it would be Fire)
  6. Flunches - Virtue & learning
  7. Sea Horse - Power of Water

Any others?

4 Likes

Things I relate with:

• Bell tower, signals, because digital signals
  • Allerion, wounded in battle, because whomst among us hasn’t done so while soldering
  • Beaver, industry and perseverance, which is also the MIT mascot
  • Candlestick, light, because LEDs
  • Cloud, mystery, because electronics is really just another form of magic and it’s what’s in the chips you shouldn’t let out

I’m sure there’s more on other pages.

3 Likes

Sure we can redesign it! We can also tap contemporary symbols for electronics too, or older ones. That site is a bit fluffy with its definitions. The meaning of different symbols changed a lot over history and between heraldic traditions. Some things had really definite meanings like the crowns and helmet shape symbolizing specific titles like Baron, Earl, etc. Most charges didn’t have such universal meaning as far as I know. So let’s use symbols that are meaningful to us.

I would prefer to keep it relatively simple to match with the other ones I’ve designed. (and all the best arms are simple. England has 3 lions, Scotland has a lion with a border and Ireland has a single harp. Simpler is better!) So we can chose like one or two of our favorite symbols and build it out of that

What else might symbolize electricity?

Well to me an embattled division looks like oscillator output. Also maybe a kite and key, for Ben Franklin discovering it, or like literally a lightning bolt.

Or we could stack several bars of color to symbolize a voltaic pile? We could make a heraldic pun with that because a pile is also a heraldic shape.

Other ideas, a transistor and an LED crossed. Let’s brainstorm next time we see eachother

···

On Sat, Feb 16, 2019 at 8:45 AM Matt via Noisebridge noreply@discuss.noisebridge.info wrote:

rando

February 16

Hey All,

I’ve been looking through this site https://www.heraldryandcrests.com/pages/symbolism-of-heraldry to find symbols for Electronics. Soldering is a good one however I think soldering is one small piece of what Electronics is about. @mcscope Would you mind if we revisited the Guild Coat of Arms and worked on it together?

I’m going to dump some things I liked.

1. Candlestick - Light and Life
  2. Carpenter Square - Laws of Equity (because physics)
  3. Comet - Insight and Wisdom
  4. Fish - Generous mind
  5. Flame - Zeal or energy (If electricity were an element, it would be Fire)
  6. Flunches - Virtue & learning
  7. Sea Horse - Power of Water
    Any others?

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

2 Likes

We will have to call a ye olde guild meeting at ye olde sycamore in the neare future.

Hey we could discuss other Guild Business too! Like…what other Guild Business do we have to discuss?

1. Addressable LEDs: For or Against?
  2. Amps or Amperage?
  3. Will our robot overloads be able to consume a pie made of Raspberry Pis? And can we model what their taste circuits will find pleasing using today’s technology??

Everyone, can we try in the next couple weeks?

1. Sun Feb 17
  2. Mon Feb 18
  3. Tues Feb 19
  4. Wed Feb 20
  5. Thurs Feb 21
  6. Fri Feb 22
  7. Sat Feb 23
  8. Sun Feb 24
  9. Mon Feb 25
  10. Tues Feb 26
  11. Wed Feb 27
  12. Thurs Feb 28
  13. Fri Mar 1
  14. Sat Mar 2

0 voters

1 Like

Oh I have a ton of raspberry pi zeros I bought for hope but accidentally delivered to California. I’d love to run a workshop with them and get them out of my garage

···

On Sat, Feb 16, 2019 at 4:48 PM Matt via Noisebridge noreply@discuss.noisebridge.info wrote:

rando

February 17

We will have to call a ye olde guild meeting at ye olde sycamore in the neare future.

Hey we could discuss other Guild Business too! Like…what other Guild Business do we have to discuss?

1. Addressable LEDs: For or Against?
  2. Amps or Amperage?
  3. Will our robot overloads be able to consume a pie made of Raspberry Pis? And can we model what their taste circuits will find pleasing using today’s technology??
    Everyone, can we try in the next couple weeks?

Click to view the poll.

In Reply To

mcscope

February 16

Sure we can redesign it! We can also tap contemporary symbols for electronics too, or older ones. That site is a bit fluffy with its definitions. The meaning of different symbols changed a lot over history and between heraldic traditions. Some things had really definite meanings like the cro…

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

2 Likes