Dust collector for Woodshop - Parts list

UPDATE 7/29: I have acquired a 1.5 HP Delta motor from building resources. Should work well for this project. I also picked up some scrap sheetmetal to build the impeller housing out of.

I am starting a new dust collector build. Although it may be cheaper and quicker in the long run to pick something up off CL, but what fun is that?

If anyone wants to help lets connect.

I’m using this website:
http://www.billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm#index.cfm
as a refernce.

Here is a list of parts I am attempting to gather:

Power switch (a standard household switch would work)
Ducting - I think 4" - 8" duct-work , preferred metal but I suppose PCV works
4" dust collector hose to attach to table saw, and other hoses (perhaps from old shop vacs) to plumb into other tools like the router table and drill press.

I will be bringing in a metal trash can to store the collected parts in. I will label it and stick it in the corner of the wood shop.

2 Likes

Seems worthwhile. " Still, woodworking generates so much unhealthy dust that the insurance data for large facility woodworkers show fine dust causes one in seven to develop such bad allergic reactions they must stop woodworking, forces one in fourteen into an early medical retirement, poisons a few, a tiny number develop nasal cancers and all lose about 1% of their respiratory capacity per year of work which worsens age related health problems and shortens lifespans. The medical research shows the higher and longer the fine dust exposure the worse the damage. This should terrify small shop woodworkers, because OSHA testing shows most small shop workers who vent their dust collection systems inside get more fine dust exposure in a few hours woodworking than large facility workers get in months of full-time work. Venting inside lets the dust build to dangerously high levels greatly increasing our exposure."

I’m not quite sure I follow that logic there (“venting inside lets dust build”).

Woodshops typically have two things: a dust collector (of the type Will describes) that pulls dust from the air, as well as hooks into various tools (like a shopvac).

Second we would have external air ventilation that would carry air out of the building.

I think maybe he means the cyclonic contraption is better at isolating the fine dust compared to say a shop vac and a bag with no vent to outdoors.

Somewhere on the site he goes into more detail about larger industrial woodworking shops being able to vent to the outside, and as such they don’t have to sequester dust in bins or through various types of filters in the same way. He goes on to point out that this is illegal in many areas especially non-industrial zones.

Most dust collectors you purchase “vent” inside. Anything with a bag or a can filter is actually venting that air into the shop directly after passing it through a filter. It would be cleaner for the shop to push the air through a filter and directly to the outside, but that dust is still going somewhere.

It would be best to capture it through better filtration, and I think one point he’s trying to make is that most commercially available collectors fall short of OSHA or EPA standards.

The collector I am piecing together will probably also fall short of these standards due to the lack of adequate motor sizing and impeller sizing which will limit the CFM to probably around the sub 800 mark. (based on this Bill guys charts) These limitations are primarily imposed by costs and time. I picked up a 1.5 HP motor for $10, but its harder to find a 2-3HP motor that is single phase at builders resources. Not impossible, but less likely. I did find a 6 HP 3 phase motor, but it was massive and I don’t think we have 3 phase. I know there are converters, but again, resources like time and money are limitations.

All this aside, something is better than nothing. When I was ripping down some white oak in the woodshop a week or two ago even with the shop vac on, it was pretty miserably dusty. :frowning:

3 Likes

UPDATE 8/5:

Have not had much time to scrounge for more parts or work on assembly. Anyone know an economical place to get sheet metal?