Discussion Item - Noisebridge donate $$$ to the Omni Commons in support of Sudoroom

Curious on what people think of donating $30,000 to the Omni Commons, which houses our sister space Sudoroom. The amount would be a way to bolster them well beyond their original goal and hopefully leave them with additional finances + ease stress in gradually recovering from lockdown. What do people think of this idea?

Sudoroom is very literally connected to Noisebridge as a sister space. The Omni has been working hard to raise funds over the course of the Pandemic and last I checked their Omni GoFundMe made them $11,000 of a $20,000 goal. Noisebridge has made many successful efforts to raise funds, so it makes sense in this unprecedented time to windfall some of our good fortune to our fellow volunteer hackerspace in need.

What do others think? It has been on my mind for some months and I know we do have funds in the bank to cover this without hurting ourselves. Thank you for your consideration! If this makes sense to look into, it would be good to host a meeting with people from the Omni and Sudoroom to discuss further. :heart:

3 Likes

I would actually love to ge to know Sudoroom better, as I’ve basically never talked to anyone who isn’t also at Noisebridge. Is there a good way to contact them (i.e. a discussion page like this one, ye various social media that shall not be named)? We could have a crossover meeting sometime in the next week or so.

What made you pick $30k, out of curiosity?

1 Like

$30k is 1.5x their original ask, plus leaves them with the other $11k they’ve raised so far. I’d definitely want to discuss what makes sense with representatives from Omni and Sudo, but this at least makes a solid starting offer. Also, I know these spaces share the same building, but are independent.

I’ve been following their campaign over many months and noticed that the Omni’s original goal was quite low, but not surprising since our spaces are more focused on cool projects than money. It also makes sense when you are volunteer and consensus-based nonprofits. They’ve certainly raised donations, but realistically you at least want to give someone enough money that they are not only paying off back owed expenses from the Pandemic, but are left with some funds in the bank. Hope this helps give a little extra context for fueling further discussion and interest.

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking in general noisebridge supporting a “matching funds” framework could encourage a healthy dynamic - increasing involvement of individual donors, increased publicity for all involved - and possibly ultimately a nice multiplier effect when other funding sources see excellence in action and join in with their own matches.

https://sudoroom.org/wiki/Sudoroom

mailing list: The sudo-discuss Archives

meeting notes: Meetings - Sudo Room

https://omnicommons.org/wiki/Meetings

https://omnicommons.org/wiki/Email_Lists

in addition to sudoroom, Omni Commons supports:

Acta Non Verba elevates life in the inner city by challenging oppressive dynamics and environments through urban farming.
Chiapas Support Committee supports autonomous health care and education in Zapatista communities.
Counter Culture Labs is a citizen science and DIYbio space that is open sourcing biology.
Food Not Bombs has been bringing free food to parks, political events, neighborhood gatherings, and social centers since 1991.
FYE is a creative coalition and collaborative platform specializing in Space Activation, Event Curation, Workshops & Pop-Ups
Global Women’s Strike - Omni Collective is an international network working toward the return of military spending to the community starting with women, the main caregivers everywhere.
Liberated Lens is a radical film & video collective dedicated to social change.
Sudo Room is a place to build, learn, reclaim technology for the people, and create alternatives to the tech industry
Sudo Mesh works with communities to build and operate free and open wireless networks.

2 Likes

I like the idea of picking an amount, say 10 or 15 K, and saying that Noisebridge will match it. That way we help their fundraiser and show solidarity. If we want to donate beyond that we could do it after we hit the initial match fundraiser goal.

2 Likes

Excited to see this !

Definitely love seeing Noisebridge and Sudo Room & Omni Commons continue to have a strong relationship !

I just posted on Omni Commons social media about encouraging folks to check out Sudo Room since we are getting more active again:

I am also definitely interested in utilizing Omni Commons social media & overall outreach communications to promote Noisebridge !

1 Like

That would be amazing!

1 Like

Email follow up for more discussion sent to Sudo Discuss and Noisebridge Discuss Mailing Lists.

https://sudoroom.org/pipermail/sudo-discuss/2021-June/015851.html

1 Like

Sudo Room is meeting tonight at 6 pm !

Hope many Noisebridge folks can join us !

Email sudo-discuss@lists.sudoroom.org for the meeting link !

Could you just post the link here please.

···

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021, 4:19 PM D-Pain via Noisebridge <noreply@discuss.noisebridge.info> wrote:

D-Pain Dane
June 30

Sudo Room is meeting tonight at 6 pm !

Hope many Noisebridge folks can join us !

Email sudo-discuss@lists.sudoroom.org for the meeting link !

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

James Laser Trainer
June 30

Email follow up for more discussion sent to Sudo Discuss and Noisebridge Discuss Mailing Lists. https://sudoroom.org/pipermail/sudo-discuss/2021-June/015851.html

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like
1 Like

Is Sudo Room a 501(c)(3) like Noisebridge or operating under the Omni’s umbrella or ? Just curious because that can open some more doors re: fundraising for things like employer matching, etc

1 Like

Edited post:

I had incorrect info on Sudo Room and 501c3 status (see Jenny’s post below.)

Sudo Room does not have 501c3 but is a fiscally sponsored project under Omni Commons 501c3 (Omni Commons took over Sudo Room 501c3.)

tl;dr: Omni Commons is a 501c3 non-profit and Sudo Room is not (but is a fiscally sponsored project under Omni Commons).
Jenny is definitely the most knowledgeable when it comes to Sudo Room & Omni Commons history, genealogy, and financial aspects.

From original post:

I plan to further talk with other Sudo Room folks to see if we can do an online fundraiser similar to our fundraisers for Omni Commons. This would help illustrate that Sudo Room is deeply interested in long term sustainability for ourselves and for Noisebridge.

1 Like

Hey all! Very excited about this conversation and grateful for the consideration to support sudo & omni. Technically (sorry to correct you Dane), Sudo Room is a fiscally-sponsored project of Omni Commons. We did have our own independent 501c3, but sudo sacrificed it’s 501c3 to the cause of purchasing the building back in 2016 (a very complicated switcheroo hack that I’d be happy to expound upon) - reapplying for our own 501c3 is totally feasible, but I’d love to hear why it would be beneficial. Those involved in employer-matching funds programs can find Omni on Benevity and the like - Omni’s EIN (formerly Sudo’s) is 46-4109670 - and if earmarked for Sudo Room, the Finances WG will make sure to apply it to Sudo’s subaccount (Sudo Room very much needs financial support right now - we owe roughly $10K to Omni in back rent unless we appeal for rent forgiveness / apply the costs of the amazing electrical work that jerkey, alex, yar and others have been doing for the building :slight_smile:

Happy to answer any questions / meet / provide more info - and sorry for the lag; i’ve been doing family visits on the east coast the past few weeks and will be here a few weeks more…

Mad love and solidarity!
Jenny (@tunabananas)

3 Likes

I should also mention that we (Sudo Room) are attempting to put together a crowdfunding campaign. juul (marc@juul.io) is spearheading if anyone has ideas, media contribs, or can otherwise provide support :slight_smile:

1 Like