Custom Badge Creation

Continuing the discussion from Keeping this Forum Updated:

Yes, we definitely could use custom badges.

• Badges are created by @admins, along with group creation.
    • Lots of custom badge examples here.
  • All Discourse documentation is at meta.discourse.org, which you can join using a github account or email.
  • Badges can be manually awarded to users by admins.
  • Data Explorer plugin is a good choice for creation of custom badges from SQL queries. I believe this is likely the tool for the job.
  • Custom Wizard is another interesting tool for teaching others, and may integrate with badge rewards.
  • Badge awards can be assigned to specific categories iirc. Will need to check documentation.
1 Like

Thanks, @James!

Hopefully we can figure out a way to empower Guild creators/“leaders” to give people badges for accomplishments without needing to make each Guild “leader” an admin.

1 Like

Great to hear it is being considered. It is an option that would need to be refined into however it can be useful.

We are not clear on what badges look like and I’m okay with that. The beauty of discuss is absolutely anyone is welcome to use and customize it to their needs, however they feel so inspired.

This is a crucial aspect of giving any badge… we should acknowledge why. The particular badges of discuss are designed to acknowledge user contributions (Contributer - Thanks for inviting 5 new users), but we have not yet made any attempt to customize this part of discuss to our needs.

There is another way it awards badges, which is automatically… upon completition of x criteria. Probably other possibilities as well on meta.discourse.org if you search there.

We absolutely could use help in finalizing the website. Someone with nginx experience, please assist.

Tonight we found this. Could be a useful kicking off point for a custom badge solution we roll for the 'bridge. https://github.com/IMSGlobal/openbadges-validator-core

I’ll set up some test LMS instances on Moodle and Blackboard or any other Learning Management System worth trying.

Then we hook them up to Badgr and the LMS will allow teachers/event maintainers to create lessons to make it easier to upload videos and such and for learners/attendees to manage multiple learning paths.

I’ve heard good things about Moodle. We could set those options up on our Unicorn server if you’d like. I’ll help if you like.

···

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020, 10:39 PM lxpk via Noisebridge <noreply@discuss.noisebridge.info> wrote:

lxpk lx MetaGuild
July 3

I’ll set up some test LMS instances on Moodle and Blackboard or any other Learning Management System worth trying.

support.badgr.com

Badgr Pathways LTI for Learning Management Systems (LMS)

Follow the links below for instructions on how to create add a Badgr Pathway to your LMS. Canvas Moodle D2L Brightspace Blackboard More LMS LTI options coming soon! Notes: There are two types of URL used to add a pathway to your LMS, be sure to …

Then we hook them up to Badgr and the LMS will allow teachers/event maintainers to create lessons to make it easier to upload videos and such and for learners/attendees to manage multiple learning paths.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Couple of thoughts:

I just ran a test badge on myself here. It’s not the end of the world, but I did want to make a note that it is a slightly unwieldy process as it wants you to link to a post or a topic which contains the reasoning for the badge granting. idk how i feel about this, but felt it worth pointing out.

One of the main qualms I have about having badges be on Discuss is the fact that not everyone uses this forum as their main comms channel for Noisebridge. I feel comms fragmentation is somewhat “here to stay” in some capacity, and I wanted the whole guilds thing to remain comms channel agnostic. Different groups wanna use whatever forum works best for their group, right?

Now if I am straw-man-ing and you are not suggesting that Discuss be the exclusive place for badges, then I apologize. Either way, we should take our talks further on this point. Figure out a solution that works for all potential noisebridge subgroups.

Which leads me to this: I’m thinking we should want to roll our own badge system in the future, and integrate it with our website (and by proxy, it can be part of the larger aspirations of that website project, which is to say, serve as a template for other hackerspaces), BUT:
for now, we could use a third party badge solution that already exists. To this end, I have found an interesting looking project, called Open Badges.

https://badge.wiki/wiki/What_Are_Open_Badges%3F

Here is a list of services/tools that utilize this standard in some way:

https://badge.wiki/wiki/Badge_platforms

As a point of action, I’d love it if we could each assign ourselves one or a couple of these platforms to explore and report back here with some findings. Pros and cons, based on what you believe to be our intended pursuits with badges.

Let’s do this.

Asking about it here:

Answer

The easiest way to get this would be to create more groups for the badges, and make the group owners the owners of those groups too.

Okay, so we can:

• Create badges
  • Assign those badges to a grouping (Guildbadges)
  • Assign Guildbadges to a particular Group (MetaGuild) and allow that group’s owners to assign them.

Quick point of clarification, Groups are made up of:

• Owners (can edit/modify all facets of the group)
  • Participants