Big Guild Plaques (I want to build)

Heyyall,
I’ve been working on the pageantry of the guilds - mostly making Coat of Arms for each of them, and I’d like to make this concrete with a physical object in the space - a giant plaque with the Name and Arms of each guild. Our current design is like a giant frame with all the guild plaques hanging from chains, some hanging from the main frame, others hanging off of other plaques. I think this would look really cool - look at the attached sketches!

And when I say giant, I mean like 10 foot long by 6’ high. Giant.

I want to give each guild a decent 3-foot tall mini plaque that contains these things:

• The name of the guild in giant font
  • the Coat of Arms of the guild
  • A whiteboard area for the guild to make announcements, have short news, etc,
  • A place to donate to that guild specifically.

Right now, the design is for a big metal frame and for us to build a couple of these plaques, but it might be good for each guild to build it’s own plaque following our design.

Anyway, it’s still very much in the brainstorming phase. Please let me know if you want to help or if you have ideas. Currently, the team is me and @tdfischer. I’ve cut out a few of the arms themselves as a proof of concept.

I think this could be great because it could make the guilds really accessible and present by allowing each visibility and space for announcements. I think it would let someone who is visiting the space to discover a lot of ways to get involved just by looking at the written announcements and meeting times.

I think to give each guild the space to write their announcements and raise funds will spur them to hold regular meetings, special events, and have fundraising goals, and that these are all awesome outcomes.

Again if you are interested in helping, please say so. It would be great to have a few people working on this so we could get it up relatively quickly. Mostly we need a frame built out, and we can start adding plaques.

3 Likes

Recently I was at the Mare Island shipyard museum and they had a big wall of plaques for the different machine shops, etc. I thought of Noisebridge immediately! If you get a chance you might go out there and have a look for inspiration - it is easy to get to by the ferry and it’s really, really cool. Here’s a not very good photo of the shield plaque for the Paint Shop, for example: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lizhenry/31848055398/

(click through on the link to zoom in)

4 Likes

This is a cool idea. I think I’d be interested in working on one for the NGA

1 Like

It’s so good. Nuclear submarine bits and all the giant machines they used to make the parts.

1 Like

Have you thought about just having holes that each guild’s plaque can fit into, to make adding, deleting, and reorganizing them easier? More work from the get go, but will make it easier to keep it up to date.

Victoria thought of them hanging from chains from each other, which will look really badass and also be easier to build and modular.

···

On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 6:37 PM anthony faber via Noisebridge noreply@discuss.noisebridge.info wrote:

antfaber

February 9

Have you thought about just having holes that each guild’s plaque can fit into, to make adding, deleting, and reorganizing them easier? More work from the get go, but will make it easier to keep it up to date.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

They’re beautifully painted! this breaks just about every rule of heraldry but looks really pretty. Especially the mantling is beautifully rendered - the brown stuff surrounding the shield
I’ll have to check out that museum!

I love that sun graphic in the background