Better Visibility and Range of Digital Donations

Hi All,

With the recent problems with cash I would like to push for more signage and types of ways to make digital donations.

I realize we will probably never get rid of cash, but given the extra energy it takes, pushing people towards digital would be good.

I also suspect people will donate more. I have actually avoided buying stuff from the vending fridge for lack of change, and I guess I am QR inept.

My thinking is:

1. Get a Venmo account
  2. Get a sign hanging up high that is headed with “Donate” and then has the various digital options:
    Venmo
    Paypal
    Online link (Preferably on a non-wikipage)

The reason to have it be somewhat more permanent/visible/difficult to change is I am worried of people creating alias venmo/paypal accounts and posting those.

Digital can also be more transparent. We can all keep an eye on the rate of donations and act if there are any dips, plus work towards increasing the numbers.

I suppose cash will never truly go away for various reasons, and that is fine, I just think we aught to minimize it and discourage its use…

• Liberapay is a good option as it would add recurring donations + financial tracking to our stripe and PayPal donations. As it is open source, there is no cost to use it unlike Patreon. We could request hosting or run it on our #unicorn server, which hosts this very forum.
  • Venmo does not work well for decentralized organizations such as noisebridge because it links to one specific individual’s account only.
  • We could bring back mobile card readers to simplify credit card donations… That was a thing for years and works well at noisebridge events.
  • My .02, encourage whatever donation systems, but do not discourage any cash donations of any kind. Instead, we can find focus on handling these donation deposits with more mutual understanding and consistency.
1 Like

Good points, i guess discouraging donations of any kind if bad.

Code for the cash box locks should be kept in safe hands and passed down appropriately.

Liberapay looks cool, I guess it is a matter of finding someone to work on it.

RE: card readers. Good idea, I did have someone hand be a card to buy some stickers once…and then I told them to deposit cash. :wink:

I am still in favor of signage and I am willing to work on that. What is our paypal email address?
Any other good address for donations? I guess I can add the patreon to a poster the space. I am not sure if I have seen the link anywhere in physical noisebridge…

1 Like

We don’t have a card reader. but we do have stripe, which can be used to make a card payment online.

I could look into whether Stripe can send us a card render (since we have a business account with them). And we could potentially set it up on the front counter.

1 Like

We actually have had multiple cards readers in the past. Perhaps @ruthgrace can advise.

I heard that we used to have Square set up but I think the person who did it isn’t around anymore. If you want to set it up you are totally welcome! I have access to Noisebridge Stripe and can probably help you with access to set up Square. Would be really great to have a card reader for the gala :slight_smile:

2 Likes

OK, I can volunteer to set up square. I can totally see setting up a tablet and then have a square reader at the door and then by the fridge. I would buy/donate more for sure if so…

I will look into what is required for a non-profit, and post here for details.

1 Like

FYI someone just donated a functional iPad. So there’s our tablet.

2 Likes

hey @Paul_H @themanmaran are you going to the pre gala meeting today at 3pm? I’m going to try to be there (no promises though – had a baby on monday & some logistics have to align for me to be able to be there). But you should definitely go if you want to be involved with collecting donations etc.

More info here: The big pre-gala meeting

I am out of town for the next couple of weeks so can’t make it.
I took a brief look at Square yesterday. I will see what missing info we might need. I am guessing a tax id number etc… and will post back. :slight_smile:

Also, congratulations on the baby! :slight_smile:

Thanks :smiley: The baby is everything I’d hoped for and more.

I think the tax ID is called an EIN, and that number is on our wiki: https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/501c3app

···

On Sat, Apr 13, 2019, 7:29 AM Paul via Noisebridge noreply@discuss.noisebridge.info wrote:

Paul_H

[Paul](https://discuss.noisebridge.info/u/paul_h)

April 13

I am out of town for the next couple of weeks so can’t make it.

I took a brief look at Square yesterday. I will see what missing info we might need. I am guessing a tax id number etc… and will post back. :slight_smile:

Also, congratulations on the baby! :slight_smile:

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

ruthgrace

[Ruth Grace Wong](https://discuss.noisebridge.info/u/ruthgrace)

Laser Trainer

April 13

hey @Paul_H @themanmaran are you going to the pre gala meeting today at 3pm? I’m going to try to be there (no promises though – had a baby on monday & some logistics have to align for me to be able to be there). But you should definitely go if you want to be involved with collecting donations etc. M…

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

1 Like

Um so I made a gmail account for square:
noisebridgesquare@gmail.com

And signed up till the last step of square. That steps requires a name, address, and last 4 digits of SSN for verification purposes. I am sort of chickening out on that part.
If anyone is ok with providing that info though, just let me know and I can DM the username and password I have so far…

Hold up, why are we going with square rather than Stripe for this one? Considering we already process about a 3rd of our donations through Stripe.

Oh, just for the card reader… I guess we could have people enter their credit card into stripe on the tablet, but then, there are security issues with that…

Edit: I guess we can use this stripe card reader:

Or order one from Paypal?

That would make more sense and save from needing extra accounts…

Looks like the difference between people donating using their smartphone online and us using the card reader is that the card reader costs an extra 1%.

Fair point!

Though, to me having the card reader is just brainless for people (especially contactless tap and pay by phone) and goes back to the visibility of digital donations. I imagine we would get that 1% back in greater donation revenue.

Another option would be to wait to have better signage on digital donations and go from there. I admit I have not done my best to use the QR code…but then again, that is a barrier for me, and I have seen other people get discouraged by having to scan/think/navigate when all they want is a quick drink out of the fridge… My vote is still to have card reader down the road…

1 Like

Instead of that gmail account, just connect up with treasurer@noisebridge.net to sort it out with @gaardn This is financial info, so best to work directly with the treasurer. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Yeah, I was looking for some email like that. As is, it will be better to get card readers with existing services…if we go that route…