Best way to learn 3D modeling?

Hey all,
So I’m about 10 years late to the party, but I’m finally getting into 3D printing! Its excite times but…boy am I terrible at 3D modeling.

I was trying to learn through FreeCAD youtube tutorials, but it seems the developers update the UI so often even videos from a couple years ago have inaccurate info. and boy is it not untuitive. but I love open source so I want to get good at it eventually.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an ultra beginner to learn the ropes? The struggle is real here, but so is the desire :slight_smile:

1 Like

we had a blender class going a few months ago, but many people left. maybe you can start a 3D modeling / blender class! I was interested but I just don’t have time for it right now.

I remember that one, I really wanted to join but it wasn’t made remotely accessible. I’d be happy to start one, but being that I know absolutely nothing about 3D modeling I don’t think it would be too helpful… >.<

1 Like

@Zach Hey Zach are you still interested in doing a 3D modeling tutorial? Blender isn’t that hard, but I just haven’t been able to keep up

I agree, we’d have to make it somewhat accessible online. I personally can’t make it to the Noisebridge space every single week, although Wednesday seems to be the night when the most interesting and creative people are there! (Alex, mark, etc)

Should we make it a self-paced tutorial? I have a hard time learning through online video tutorials, I’d rather have print, but there don’t seem to be many options.

I’m all for a self-paced learning class, and then the people in the class meet in person every once in a while. THe idea of sitting through a grinding class at desks while it’s really bright out and we should be bikin gin the city isn’t very appealing to me.