Added someone to root on the server [a.k.a. The Rack FAQ]

Hey gang.

I was hanging out with Naomi earlier today and decided to give her kid Calvin root access to noisebridge.net. He wants to be a sysadmin when he gets older so I figure it’s a good place to start their career.

2 Likes

That’s fine, do they have a github account?

1 Like

Excellent. Can they put the Search back up?

3 Likes

Hey we’ve got backups right? Asking for a friend

3 Likes

Yeah, sure, anyone can. If there’s something you want to change, you can raise an Issue on the infrastructure repository:

The Issue can be seen as a kind of support ticket. It doesn’t guarantee anything.

To expedite a thing getting done, it would be great to a company the issue with a pull request (PR) with the code already made and tested.

A member of the Rack Guild will review the changes and work with the submitter to make any fixes as needed.

Let me know any questions.

1 Like

Ugh that’s too difficult. Is there a bugzilla somewhere I could dump this and have it forgotten to the sands of time?

1 Like

You can look through the issues but we had a large number of automated back-ups implemented in the past month or so, including the router config (and we literally have a back-up router) and earl image (earl hardware is planned). Ansible is executing back-up tasks regularly and handles deployments.

1 Like

I haven’t seen Bugzilla I was more of a Gamera fan myself.

1 Like

“Because if you don’t have backups… you don’t have data.”

3 Likes

Calvin: “But what about the .01%???”

3 Likes

Has your son been engaged in CAPITALISM lately?