44 Cleveland Street

(Ruth Grace Wong) #21

My feeling is that if we are only planning to be there for a few years we shouldn’t mess with the space in any ways that make it less valuable when it’s going to be put out for rent after we leave.

In reply to my questions, Mark says:

Ruth,

We can either sublease your current space or ask the owner to re-rent the space as your rent may be below market and he/she may be able to get more for it.

It will help to provide a balance sheet, income statement, and bank statement for owner review along with a non-binding Letter of Intent.

There’s really no deposit to hold a commercial space so it’s basically first come first serve as long as the group is strong financially.

Happy to discuss etc too.

Thank you!

(Steve Phillips) #22

The place looks great! My only fundamental concern is: is it big enough? It’s significantly smaller than our current place and a decent amount of it is being used up by a large kitchen and a big fancy bathroom, which leaves even less space to do with it what we currently do.

Could we have a woodshop at 44 Cleveland? In which room? Is it big enough?

What about SparkleForge?

What are we going to need to do without at this space that we have now?

On the flip side, if we’re saving a bunch of money and would benefit from some forced efficiency due to downsizing, moving into 44 Cleveland could be great, especially since it’d be pretty catastrophic to not have a place to move into by August, yes?

But then again: we don’t want to pay double rent for ~4 months, so is anything we’re looking at now even a good option if it won’t still be available in 3 months?

Overall, I’m mostly a software guy and so it’s less clear what specific hardware constraints we have that need to be taken into consideration, but I personally like it and it suits my modest techno-needs.

Next Steps

I feel like people with a much deeper grasp of our hardware needs should first tell us whether this space is viable. And if it’s only viable if we’re all willing to make certain concessions, we should all talk about what we are willing to sacrifice and what we’re not. This greater clarity will help us assess any new space we’re considering, and should give Mark clearer picture of which spaces are worth showing to us and which ones aren’t.

(Steve Phillips) #23

Sanity checks:

1. Will our shit fit through the doors?

2. Can the floors support the weight of all our shit?

3. Does it definitely have 3-phase/appropriate electrical shit?

(Ruth Grace Wong) #24

I want to reiterate that it’s unlikely we’ll ever find a space as nice and cheap as this one. The closest was the basement of an SRO (one of those hotels that has been converted to low income housing) which was like $3000 a month for a 3000 sqft space, and not at all accessible.

(Stephen C. Young, Ph.D.) #25

@elimisteve the numbers I’m seeing put this place at only 10 percent smaller than our current space. am I missing something?

(Stephen C. Young, Ph.D.) #26

we could just lay down gym matting or something on the main hardwood floors to protect them.

(Steve Phillips) #27

You’re right, but losing 400-500 sq ft is like losing Church or SparkleForge or the woodshop.

(Steve Phillips) #28

This new space has all the fundamental things we definitely need, whatever those are?

(Ruth Grace Wong) #29

I’m sorry everyone, this is a false alarm – I had thought mid 50s industrial gross meant $55,000 a year but it’s actually $55 per sqft per year which is $19,000 per month. So this discussion is moot. :frowning:
apologies again.

(Jarrod) #30

Thank you for asking @ruthgrace . Just saw your note about the rent tho.